grayfoxhound

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Hello, this is my first time posting on the forums. I am basically building a new system and giving most of the old parts to my friend to help him out with his comp. The parts that I will be replacing is the cpu, ram, psu, and mobo. I can add in the cpu cooler later. I will be using it for mainly gaming and some video encoding here and there, but not a lot. I will be overclocking. The resolution I'll be using is 1680x1050.

I do know what parts to get except cpu and psu. Psu will be a 750w corsair(650w if I don't plan on crossfiring my 4870 1gig). The cpu I have narrowed it down to the 720 BE or the 940 BE phenom IIs. Now my question is, would i really be need the extra core if i mostly game and rarely use for encoding? It is only a 50 dollar difference but it's still money that can be used for the cpu cooler. Would the 720 be close to the 940 at stock in terms of encoding even overclocked? Reason I went for PII is because it does cost less than Core 2 Quads/Duo.
The cost is ~460 USD with the 940, ~410 with 720 which includings mobo, ram, cpu cooler and psu for both sets, not including shipping and rebates.

Before you talk about I7s', I know it's the best what you can get out there. Seeing that I would be doing very little where it excels most, it would be a waste for me.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

For a mainly gaming rig i will go P2X3 720 and preferably straight to an AM3/DDR3 platform :p
8xxAM3j1.jpg

Just take off w/e hardware u dun need on that list and for 1680 x 1050 i feel there is no need for multi GPUs anyway so... :lol:

grayfoxhound

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Thanks for the replies. After thinking about this at work, i decided to get the 940. ill probably just get the combo deal before it ends and get the rest of the parts till i get gather more cash.