[SOLVED] Gaming Computer Build

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Black Friday Week for Deals but I want a general build idea to look out for

Budget Range: Main objective is to get best bang for buck budget build

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, Watching Movies, regular day-to-day email, word excel kind of stuff

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe, my monitor is 7 years old but still works

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'm in Canada, so I will be buying parts from Canada Computers, Amazon, Newegg .

Parts Preferences: Not really

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: Don't mind having some RGB but nothing too crazy flashy, possibly case with tempered glass side to see inside, if the case includes fans would be awesome to save a few $$

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current computer is 7 years old and I think it's time for an upgrade and I am seeing the slowdown of it when I'm gaming and I try to watch a video or something. I don't stream or do video editing, I just want to be able to play games and be able to do other stuff even if the game is running (might get duo monitors)

Solution
Part recommendations may change by the time your ready to buy, I would ask again about a week or two before buying

Rough draft

Ryzen 3600
Stock cooler
B450 or B550 Motherboard
2x8gb DDR4 @3200mhz (should be able to find some with RGB)
Intel 660P 1TB M.2 NVMe or if there's a better price to performance SSD.
GPU depends on the monitor but for 1080P the 1660 Super/1660 ti or RX 5700 would be a good choice
Case is whatever you want, you can find some with RGB and could always add in RGB fans.
Seasonic Focus Gold (or Plus depending on budget) 550W

Expect to spend around $1200 for a good gaming system although we may be able to cut it down a little bit (by $100 or so).

WildCard999

Titan
Part recommendations may change by the time your ready to buy, I would ask again about a week or two before buying

Rough draft

Ryzen 3600
Stock cooler
B450 or B550 Motherboard
GPU depends on the monitor but for 1080P the 1660 Super/1660 ti or RX 5700 would be a good choice
Case is whatever you want, you can find some with RGB and could always add in RGB fans.

Expect to spend around $1200 for a good gaming system although we may be able to cut it down a little bit (by $100 or so).

Last edited:
Solution

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
These are some parts I kind of picked, but there are pieces missing which I'm not sure would work well.
I'm still trying to spend as little as possible for best bang for buck.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo:
GPU:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb
SSD: Crucial MX500 500gb
PSU: Corsair Semi-Mod ATX CX550M
Case: CM MB500 or Deepcool 55
Monitor:

Some items are on sale on Amazon.ca so I may buy them if you guys think it's a good buy.

Thanks again, I'll update this as I finalize.

Last edited:

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
An Intel 660P M.2 NVME drive is often $5 less than a Crucial MX500, but is at least 2x as fast on sequential reads...
On Amazon I see the M.2 is still a bit more expensive, i saw a Crucial 500gb M.2 for the same price so maybe I'll get that.

You still need a mainboard. I would get a b450 board because there is no additional value for x470 or x570 in a gaming rig. MSI Max boards like the Tomahawk are a contender. Maybe even a used board with an updated bios.
So a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max?

An RX580 is about $185-$190, and is still an excellent 1080P gaming card...
That must be in USD, but I'm looking at prices in CAD. is there a specific card you can suggest?

Last edited:

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

Rough draft

Ryzen 3600
Stock cooler
B450 or B550 Motherboard

Hi Wildcard999, I'm starting to buy certain parts right now for my computer and I'd like some of your recommendation on some missing pieces. My budget is around $1500 CAD

Mobo: MSI Proseries B450 Pro m2 max? is this a good choice?
GPU: 1660 Super, should I get Zotac, EVGA or Gigabyte?
SSD: 500gb but not sure which brand is good
PSU:
Case: Phanteks P350x
Monitor:
Windows 10

WildCard999

Titan
Hi Wildcard999, I'm starting to buy certain parts right now for my computer and I'd like some of your recommendation on some missing pieces. My budget is around $1500 CAD

Mobo: MSI Proseries B450 Pro m2 max? is this a good choice?
GPU: 1660 Super, should I get Zotac, EVGA or Gigabyte?
SSD: 500gb but not sure which brand is good
PSU:
Case: Phanteks P350x
Monitor:
Windows 10
The motherboard is fine. As for the GPU it depends on the model. For dual fan I like Zotac but if this is the triple fan Gigabyte then I'd get that instead. Intel 660P 512gb M.2 NVMe SSD if possible as it's a good price to performance SSD. Another good one is the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro.

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
The motherboard is fine. As for the GPU it depends on the model. For dual fan I like Zotac but if this is the triple fan Gigabyte then I'd get that instead. Intel 660P 512gb M.2 NVMe SSD if possible as it's a good price to performance SSD. Another good one is the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro.
Would you happen to know if the motherboard if I'd need to update the BIOS?
Does PSU brand matter? or as long as its 500W or more with bronze or gold fine?
Lastly, a monitor you'd recommend? possibly something under $200...

WildCard999

Titan
The MSI MAX motherboards should be updated enough to use that 3600 however you may want to further update the BIOS to ensure compatibility/stability.

The PSU is the heart of the system so get something pretty good. If possible get the Seasonic Focus Gold (or Plus) 550W.

I know you said under $200 for the monitor however this one is really nice (I have the 34" version). IPS makes the colors look really good, Freesync works well and should work with the 1660 ti as long as you use updated drivers and a DisplayPort cable. The extra peripheral is good for gaming imersion and the games that support it look good. Also even if a game doesn't utilize 21:9 there's usually a fix online. If you play Overwatch a lot then you might want to pass as Blizzard intentionally made it for 16:9 and didn't want 21:9 but they're other games like Diablo 3 & WoW natively support it.

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: LG 29WK600-W 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor ($229.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $229.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-14 14:22 EST-0500

As a side note the HDR isn't very good at least from my experience but you might be able to make it look good if you play around with the settings.

Edit: I forgot it's in CA.

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012