Question Gaming cpu (i5 vs ryzen)

Fatih_1

Honorable
Jan 11, 2016
I've 2400mhz ram, so I have 2 choices first is i5 9400F second is Ryzen 5 1600 (no typo made) + 3200mhz ram. I'm preparing to next gen console era, for those wondering which gpu i have is Gtx960 so which cpu for future?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What gaming style? If a fast paced, first person shooter type like CSGO or LoL or Fortnite etc then I'd opt for the 9400f, it has a much better IPC than first gen Ryzen can support and there'll be less need for thread counts. If you are more online, multi-player, raid boss strategy where fps is a secondary concern and richer graphics is better then the Ryzen will be better overall as thread counts will make a sizable difference in playability.

With a Gtx960 details are going to be limited in gpu fps, either cpu will be somewhat stronger than you need graphically, but gpus change easily and no point setting limits on cpu ability before any upgrades later.

Personally, I'd go with option C, a Ryzen 3600 and live with the 2400 ram for now. The 3600 is the better of both worlds, equitable IPC to the 9400f and the thread count of the 1600. Ram is cheap compared to cpu/mobo platform and easy to upgrade later. If it even needs it.

Fatih_1

Honorable
Jan 11, 2016
What gaming style? If a fast paced, first person shooter type like CSGO or LoL or Fortnite etc then I'd opt for the 9400f, it has a much better IPC than first gen Ryzen can support and there'll be less need for thread counts. If you are more online, multi-player, raid boss strategy where fps is a secondary concern and richer graphics is better then the Ryzen will be better overall as thread counts will make a sizable difference in playability.

With a Gtx960 details are going to be limited in gpu fps, either cpu will be somewhat stronger than you need graphically, but gpus change easily and no point setting limits on cpu ability before any upgrades later.

Personally, I'd go with option C, a Ryzen 3600 and live with the 2400 ram for now. The 3600 is the better of both worlds, equitable IPC to the 9400f and the thread count of the 1600. Ram is cheap compared to cpu/mobo platform and easy to upgrade later. If it even needs it.
Games like pc version of detroit become human, mechwarrior-5 and rdr2 pc, gears 5, halo infinite (when released) unfortunately ryzen 5 3xxx series not available in my country yet

Fatih_1

Honorable
Jan 11, 2016
Ow. A 2700x then, if that's in budget, it's equitable to the 3600. Your games run thread heavy, more so than IPC demanding. The 9400f will be a limiting cpu for you.
2700x is so expensive for me but ryzen 5 1600 is in the recommended specs for Detroit. But i watched some benchmark and 9400f gives 1.5times more fps than ryzen 5 1600, so I'm confused, my budget is really low like 250$

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lol, just about anything 6 years old or newer is inside the specs, and maximum fps doesn't mean anything useful.
And be careful of videos, they need to be taken across a broad selection of games, not just cherry picked 1 or 3.
The 1600 with some OC is quite capable of keeping up with the 9400f, averaging @ 10fps ± lower scores, which on the grand scheme is a moot point.

And you will not be upgrading the Intel anytime soon, or at all, unless you go overboard with a high grade Intel mobo, but the 3600 when it does become available is a definite possibility and a better cpu all around than either the 9400f or the 1600.

And you will not be upgrading the Intel anytime soon, or at all, unless you go overboard with a high grade Intel mobo,
Huh?! Why though?!
He can stick a 9900k in there even if he gets the cheapest mobo,it will just be running at base clocks in the worst case but even on cheap boards it will be even boosting,it's only the overclocking that you lose with a cheap board and that's not very different from the 3600 it's not like overclocking that by 1 or 200Mhz by also losing 1-200Mhz top single core clocks is going to help much in games.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You aren't going to stick a i9 9900k on any cheapo mobo, not even most Z370 mobo's as they don't have the power connections or VRM's to handle that cpu. It's only 95w at base clocks and no hyperthreading, turn on factory hyperthreading and turbo and it's a 200w cpu.

Running a 9900k at 8 cores only, no hyperthreading and no turbo, would be absolutely a waste of money, you'd be far better off with a 9700k and get better results or even a 9600k and let it loose.

Be like spending $250k on a Lamborghini, and pulling out half the sparkplug wires.

TRENDING THREADS