Gaming CPU tuning

Plumbum

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Hi all.
Now i have AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, but i wanna better CPU for gaming. I read that Intel i5 6500 is coming. It is more better in gaming? And what RAM should i buy. 8 or 16 GB? And speed of ram is important? Should i go with DDR4 2133 MHz or something better? I don't want spend money on useless things. My GPU now is GeForce GTX 760 2GB. Oh and as last: CoolerMaster Hyper 103 or CoolerMaster 212 EVO is enough for this i5? THX for answers and sorry for my bad english.

Solution
The Skylake architecture isn't that good. A 4690k is better for for the $. 8GB RAM is enough for gaming, as well. A 212 EVO is good enough for the 4690k. The speed of the RAM is not important unless you are doing an APU system, which you are not. 1600 mhz is fine.

wewum

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
The Skylake architecture isn't that good. A 4690k is better for for the $. 8GB RAM is enough for gaming, as well. A 212 EVO is good enough for the 4690k. The speed of the RAM is not important unless you are doing an APU system, which you are not. 1600 mhz is fine.

Solution

Geekwad

Admirable
Agreed. Because you probably can't make the jump to an AM3+ on the board you have, moving over to Intel at this point is worth considering. Skylake offers some great features, but I'm more excited about it for mobile settings and the locked processor options that haven't launched yet for average computer users.

For gaming, the Haswells are the way to go.....unless going Intel is specifically taking money away from your ability to upgrade your GPU. A 970 or 380 would be a great step up, so I would try your best to shoot for those GPU's and then get the processor/board that makes that possible. An FX8320 will still give you a great 1080 experience, but power supply requirements with it (especially if you choose a AMD 2 or 3 series GPU) usually negates the cost savings for new setups......not to mention if you pay your own power bill.

TRENDING THREADS