gaming-desktop-workstation pc terms

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
"Desktop" means not a laptop. "Gaming" means the PC probably has dedicated "mid range" or better graphics card, "Workstation" is a more professional oriented, usually with many cores and/or a professional grade graphics card (see Quadro vs GeForce). Workstation also implies that the design may fit more into an office, whereas a "gaming" pc is typically not something you'd want to bring to an office setting (funky case designs, LED, tricked out,etc.)

alexsat

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016

thank you so a Ryzen 5 2600 should be better than an i5 8400 right? for workstation?

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
It very much depends on the intended workload. I'm not an AMD expert, but I think you're correct for workloads that are highly dependent on numbers of threads...things like rendering, etc. Might be totally different answer for a coding rig, or a database, or machine learning, etc etc.

Low end workstations resemble gaming PCs to some extent. But when you get to the level where they have 2 CPUs everything changes. Error correcting RAM, Registered RAM with controllers on each module to support 100GB setups. Multiple drive arrays with increased throughput and redundancy. GPUs with ECC RAM that are certified for mission critical apps like engineering, architecture, and medicine. gamers want performance and will accept errors and crashes that just won't fly in the IT world.