Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Hey guys,

So I made a new PC which includes:
1) Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping
2) MSI P6N SLI PLATINUM LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX
3)Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800
4)EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

I bought the OEM version of vista 64 bit. Now in EQ2 on extreme quality I am getting frame freezes and weird stuff like this (photo removed)
Furthermore my GF's comp has a Nvidia 7600 GT and AMD Ath 4600 x2 and EQ2 has less frame freezing and does not get errors like shown in the picture. And Yes I have updated vista and all of the drivers...

I am thinking of switching back to XP but here's the thing...it's XP Home @ 32bits. Will I take a performance hit when going from a 64 to a 32 bit OS?

What do you think?

Madrox

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Im dual booting XP Pro 32bit and Vista Ult 64bit. and i do notice a performance hit in Vista here and there. DX10 games run great, BUT ones not made for DX10 can/do have problems.

Dual booting is the best of both worlds( i guess)

But keep in mind. In Vista "Cranking" everything in a game at the moment (Vista is more or less broken in some ways) can sometimes lead to bad performance, and sometimes lead to the Blue screens.

My advice before you wipe Vista. If the game says "High" or "Highest" Graphics... do that and don't just put every option on the highest it can go. On my PC if i put Anti-aliasing to high i get a crash or a blue screen.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
give vista 32bit a try, if that doesn't help than dual boot.

edit: ohh wait you got oem vista, still if you can afford 32 bit vista get it, why did you get 64bit in the first place?!

mcavey

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
I am dual booting now.

I got 64 bit because I figured it would increase performance on 64 bit applications and utilize my quad core mroe effectively. I saw benchmarks and noticed a slight decrease or increase in performance when it came to 64 bit vista versus windows xp.

I am assuming that problems like the picture listed above will be fixed with updates from Microsoft and EvGA with time. And also that performance will at least balance out but most likely increase... :;praying::

Status
Not open for further replies.