Gaming graphics And RAM issues with my rig

Thatoli

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
Hi guys,
Pc noob here !. Please help!.
Okay I have a oldish rig and recently got bfv and I experienced some crashes while playing. I also checked my optimal settings for my card (msi GTX 1070 gaming x) and there all on low which surprised me as bf1 was ultra and high. I think I may need to upgrade my RAM I currently have 8gb ddr3 and I thinking of upgrading to 16gb.Can I add to my exsisting 8gb ram and just buy another 8gb albeit a different make ?. This is the first game ive had a problem with in 4 years and all my other games run fine. Any advise is very welcome. I game on a 1440p monitor 144hz. Hopefully this rig can put me on until next year.. here's my rig:

1 x Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS USB 3.0/2.0 Slim External DVDRW
2 x 120mm Arctic Cooling F12 PWM CO 4-Pin PWM Fan
1 x Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
1 x MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming x edition
1 x Corsair H100 CPU Watercooler
1 x Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard
1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III Hard Drive
1 x Windows 10 64 Bit Operating System - DVD
1 x Corsair Obsidian 350D Black Micro-ATX Window Gaming Case
1 x 750W - Corsair CX750M 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply
1 x Overclock CPU to 4.20GHz
1 x 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series 2.5" SATA 6GB/s (SATA-III) Solid State Drive SSD
1 x 8GB Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte #996995 (2x4GB) 1600 (PC3-12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CAS 9-9-9-24 1.5V

Thank you for any future replies !!

Regards,

Oli

Solution
UPDATE: I see online videos that show BFV works fine with 8GB but other comments saying that's not true. Huh.

I'd definitely upgrade to 16GB though even if most of the benefit is in the future. I've seen system memory demands continuously rise from my 2012 build with 16GB. At the time they were debating 4GB vs 8GB for gaming. Now 8GB is the minimum most recommend.

THIS may or may not help but I suspect it's an issue specifically related to that game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nb4H5hAKHw

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
I dont know how much ram is needed. If they recommend more than 8gb I would assume that's the problem. 16gb can't hurt anyway. If you are going to mix ram you want to try and match it to the old ram the best you can. (I should say they dont always work if they arent matching. But they usually will.) They will also only run at the speed of the slowest ram.

You can open your task manager while the game is on and check your ram usage to be sure that's the issue.

It might not be the lack of system memory that causes that particular crash, but I do know that BFV will play much better (at times) in terms of not stuttering with 16GB.

Ideally you should buy another identical kit of memory.

If that's not possible then buy a kit that is also 1600MHz and CAS9. Install it and then run MEMTEST86 www.memtest86.com

If it fails you should then test the new kit on its own. If that works then put all four sticks back and play around (with help likely) with the timings in the BIOS.

The "XMP" (optimal) setting should be applied typically; it may or may not work with another identical kit since sometimes they make changes even though it's technically the same model. You may even try to overclock a bit since at 1600MHz you should see some benefit going higher. Some memory overclocks nicely so you might get 1866MHz or so.

Repeat Memtest86 if you change the CPU or memory settings.

You don't mention overclocking the CPU but I'll assume you did. If you get memory issues with the new memory then I'd put your CPU back to defaults until that's resolved then overclock again after.

UPDATE: I see online videos that show BFV works fine with 8GB but other comments saying that's not true. Huh.

I'd definitely upgrade to 16GB though even if most of the benefit is in the future. I've seen system memory demands continuously rise from my 2012 build with 16GB. At the time they were debating 4GB vs 8GB for gaming. Now 8GB is the minimum most recommend.

THIS may or may not help but I suspect it's an issue specifically related to that game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nb4H5hAKHw

Solution

Thatoli

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
Thanks for your advise guys really appreciate it !. I always come back here for advise it never let's me down. Ok so today I been on and at 1440p 144hz I can get full ultra @ 60-70 Fps medium @ 80-90fps and low @ 100-110 Fps.. and it doesn't seem to crash.. maybe teething problems yesterday with the actual game ?. However I still plan on buying all new 16gb of ram for my rig have you guys got any suggestions on which brand?. Also why does my optimal settings still advise low when it can clearly handle much more ?.

And thanks for your time !

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Thatoli : "help with RAM for gaming"

Adding extra memory to your Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte #996995 (2x4GB) 1600MHz kit, what you call upgrade, has no guarantee to be compatible with what you currently use. It does not make any difference if you use exact or same kit. Such combinations are done on a "do it yourself" compatibility testing basis with no guarantees.

Workarounds to get extra memory working include:
Lower memory frequency
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Thatoli : "Cpu usage 100% while gaming bfv help!"

While increasing RAM capacity (and/or speed) could certainly increase CPU performance, it is said that RAM usage is atypically high in the open beta. Some are also saying even if you have spec on which it runs fine, it's common to get severe frame drops after 1-2 hours. This usually means memory leaks, whereby scripts keep running longer than they're supposed to, eating up RAM resources.

Thus I would seriously consider waiting until the final release to see if the game is optimized better before making an upgrade decision.

Read the comment and answer on the video. As the video author mentioned, these kind of performance problems often linger until well after launch in mp play.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVPjMd_1Kp0"][/video]