[SOLVED] Gaming headset recommendation ?

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Has anyone used the V-Moda M-200 for PC gaming ? Ok I'm strongly looking into getting them but haven’t seen any gaming reviews for them.

Solution
Possibly 400

Endless options but paying $400 is pointless if all your doing is gaming on onboard audio. :unsure:

Sennheiser GAME ONE/PC38X /PC37X "Yes they are that good"
Epos "Just about all of them"

Sennheiser HD559 $99
Sennheiser HD560S ~$200
Sennheiser HD598 ~$200
Sennheiser HD599SE ~$200
Philips SHP9500 $75
Philips Fidelio L2 $99
Philips Fidelio X2HR $150
Philips Fidelio X3 $275
AKG K 701 Ultra $200
AKG Pro Audio K702 $250
AKG K 240 MK II $90
HIFIMAN HE-400I ~$200

What's the difference?

-Brand Specific tuning ;) Each headset might have a slight tweak here and there but in general AKG's sound like AKG's and Sennheiser sound like Sennheisers and Phillips experiment quite a lot.

-Weigh
-Shape,
-Bulk...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Overpriced for the intended use
Poor Positional Audio "Sound Stage"
The mic is neither positional nor convenient. No BOOMPRO for $300+ included 🤷‍♂️
Tuned for reference production, Flat EQ with a lack of Bass extension
Does not take to EQing very well for some reason.
Heavy but the over padding helps circumvent that.

As a reference set for critical listening, they are very good but if you're looking for gaming immersion they are a letdown. 😕

FPS Gaming- The Flat tuning and lack of bass works fine but the lack of Positional audio isn't so enjoyable.
RPG and immersion Gaming- The lack of bass and flat tuning hurts the "WoW" factor of immersion, but the lack of needing great positional audio isn't such a big deal.

What are you looking for in a headphone or headset?

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I’m looking for something obviously comfortable able to wear for long gaming sessions. I mainly play battle royals and escape from tarkov. So I need something that has very good directional sound.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Overpriced for the intended use
Poor Positional Audio "Sound Stage"
The mic is neither positional nor convenient. No BOOMPRO for $300+ included 🤷‍♂️
Tuned for reference production, Flat EQ with a lack of Bass extension
Does not take to EQing very well for some reason.
Heavy but the over padding helps circumvent that.

As a reference set for critical listening, they are very good but if you're looking for gaming immersion they are a letdown. 😕

FPS Gaming- The Flat tuning and lack of bass works fine but the lack of Positional audio isn't so enjoyable.
RPG and immersion Gaming- The lack of bass and flat tuning hurts the "WoW" factor of immersion, but the lack of needing great positional audio isn't such a big deal.

What are you looking for in a headphone or headset?

I’m looking for something obviously comfortable able to wear for long gaming sessions. I mainly play battle royals and escape from tarkov. So I need something that has very good directional sound.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Creative SXFI Gamer USB-C Gaming Headset $130
Tom's Review

SXFI has been tailored for both of those games and they are two of the eight titles I played at the trade shows when they were showing SXFI off. Outside of SXFI these are good-sounding headsets that can be tailored "EQed" quite well".

Hyper X Cloud II $99

Not without its flaws outside of gaming but one of the best when used with the virtual surround sound for the price.

HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset + 7.1 $150

A Step up in sound quality over the Cloud II but anything from HyperX will need some sound tailoring depending on your taste, FXsound is good for that.

For the best positional Audio just buy Dolby Atmos from the Microsoft store "$15" and add just about any headphone/Headset with a decent sound signature. You can try Atmos for 7 days for free, any of these are good options.

SENNHEISER PC38X GAMING HEADSET $169 "Quite impressive and I own them but I only use them for FPS gaming as I favor more bass for everything else"
SENNHEISER PC37X GAMING HEADSET $98
EPOS GSP 300/301 $99
Any of the higher up versions in the EPOS Line

Honorable mentions

Razer Blackshark V2 $99- Games that support THX make these really shine the issue is that isn't a long list of games. 😕 Positional audio without THX isn't all that impressive.

Lot's to add here but time constants limit me.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Creative SXFI Gamer USB-C Gaming Headset $130
Tom's Review

SXFI has been tailored for both of those games and they are two of the eight titles I played at the trade shows when they were showing SXFI off. Outside of SXFI these are good-sounding headsets that can be tailored "EQed" quite well".

Hyper X Cloud II $99

Not without its flaws outside of gaming but one of the best when used with the virtual surround sound for the price.

HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset + 7.1 $150

A Step up in sound quality over the Cloud II but anything from HyperX will need some sound tailoring depending on your taste, FXsound is good for that.

For the best positional Audio just buy Dolby Atmos from the Microsoft store "$15" and add just about any headphone/Headset with a decent sound signature. You can try Atmos for 7 days for free, any of these are good options.

SENNHEISER PC38X GAMING HEADSET $169 "Quite impressive and I own them but I only use them for FPS gaming as I favor more bass for everything else"
SENNHEISER PC37X GAMING HEADSET $98
EPOS GSP 300/301 $99
Any of the higher up versions in the EPOS Line

Honorable mentions

Razer Blackshark V2 $99- Games that support THX make these really shine the issue is that isn't a long list of games. 😕 Positional audio without THX isn't all that impressive.

Lot's to add here but time constants limit me.
What about any turtle beach headsets? Are there any worth buying this year?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The Elite Atlas with Dolby Atmos would probably work pretty well but Turtle beach, in general, isn't particularly a brand I look into since they tend to be tailored for Gaming and not so much for any other uses.

The Elite Pro 2 is a hard sell 😕. @ $240 the software on PC is crap and adds very little functionality and the Amp thing is nothing more than a big volume knob. The overemphasized bass/ under-emphasized highs can make positional ques hard to detect, you get no recon or stealth mode options to fix that like you would on many of the other units in this price range using an Amp. Frankly, it gets blown away with a GSX300 headphone amp "$79" and a PC37X or GSP300/301 at a cheaper price combined.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
The Elite Atlas with Dolby Atmos would probably work pretty well but Turtle beach, in general, isn't particularly a brand I look into since they tend to be tailored for Gaming and not so much for any other uses.

The Elite Pro 2 is a hard sell 😕. @ $240 the software on PC is crap and adds very little functionality and the Amp thing is nothing more than a big volume knob. The overemphasized bass/ under-emphasized highs can make positional ques hard to detect, you get no recon or stealth mode options to fix that like you would on many of the other units in this price range using an Amp. Frankly, it gets blown away with a GSX300 headphone amp "$79" and a PC37X or GSP300/301 at a cheaper price combined.
Ok cause I don’t need a headset with a mic so I’m even open to a studio headset. Like an open back set of headphones.

D

Deleted member 217926

What is your source? Got a headphone amp? If so get an AKG K712 Pro and never look back. It's my daily driver. You can find it on sale under $300. Comfort - 10/10. Soundstage is huge. Imaging is as good as anything in the price range. To do better for gaming ( imaging//soundstage ) you'd be looking at a DT1990 Pro for $600 or a HiFi Man Ananda at $700. As far as music goes I like the K712 better than the DT 1990.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Possibly 400

Endless options but paying $400 is pointless if all your doing is gaming on onboard audio. :unsure:

Sennheiser GAME ONE/PC38X /PC37X "Yes they are that good"
Epos "Just about all of them"

Sennheiser HD559 $99
Sennheiser HD560S ~$200
Sennheiser HD598 ~$200
Sennheiser HD599SE ~$200
Philips SHP9500 $75
Philips Fidelio L2 $99
Philips Fidelio X2HR $150
Philips Fidelio X3 $275
AKG K 701 Ultra $200
AKG Pro Audio K702 $250
AKG K 240 MK II $90
HIFIMAN HE-400I ~$200

What's the difference?

-Brand Specific tuning ;) Each headset might have a slight tweak here and there but in general AKG's sound like AKG's and Sennheiser sound like Sennheisers and Phillips experiment quite a lot.

-Weigh
-Shape,
-Bulk
-Materials used
-Pad shape and materials
-How hard are they to drive
-How well do they stay in place when you're moving around

:unsure:

AKG's have the least amount of bass, noise reduction and are rather prone to moving around
Hifiman's are rather heavy and massive plus hard to drive
Sennheiser tends to give you a tighter fit but uses lots of plastic.
Philips Very a lot and have a non-monitor tuning which I find more enjoyable for Gaming and multimedia.

Whatever you pick I would suggest an Amp as well if your spending more than $150, the increased sound quality and added features make it worth your investment.

Solution
For a good gaming headset (with mic), the Sennheiser PC38X is probably the best overall comparing cost and quality of the headphones and mic. However it's only on Drop right now unless you can find one used in your area https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-pc38x-gaming-headset

A good option would be a headphone like HD 6XX, also from Drop and a modmic. There is a wireless modmic which is pretty neat, can be used on any headphone https://antlionaudio.com/collections/microphones

For something good and cheap with a removable mic, I really like the Cooler Master MH751/752, they are super comfortable and nice even sound.

Last edited: