Question Gaming Laptop for Video Editing - - - - 3070 vs 3080 models ?

Jan 25, 2022
Hello, I currently and still using a asus g752vy (with 980m/i7 6700hq/16gbram) and I feel it’s high time for an upgrade, Im honestly starting to feel it’s limitations when doing video work. One thing to note first though, I was looking at getting something with a 3080 but not only as everyone may know are they hard to get, but I wonder if the price difference is really worth it for me and my needs because Im on a budget as it is or if I should just opt for a 3070 and save a buck.. potentially? Anyways here`s my answers!;

1. What is your budget?
Honestly my budget is a little tight, and this is an additional expense. I can probably go up to around $2,800 If I have too. But the less the better, I guess that goes without saying. lol

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 inch, I don’t really want a 17 incher. I wouldn’t mind the legion and it’s 16 inches though, that 16:10 screen ratio is intriguing to me.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I‘m thinking 1440p.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I won’t be moving around a lot with the laptop but It would be nice if it wasnt a heavy sob like my current one. It seems most of the current laptops are a HUGE improvement over mine when it comes to weight, so most of them seem good to me in this regard. Lol

5. How much battery life do you need?
While gaming I expect it to suck so I dont really care, itll likely be plugged in. But I’d like decent battery life while doing other tasks.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I am a gamer, and I’d like to play games at pretty good settings but gaming is not the biggest priority of the laptop, more like icing on the cake. I want it to be a significant improvement over my current laptop. A lot of what I play isnt super demanding but I do want to play the new STALKER 2, and so forth. If it was capable of VR, that’d be awesome because I really want to play the Half Life Alyx game someday but it’s not a requirement! VR is honestly the least of my concerns.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I will be doing lots of video editing, that’s the primary purpose of this laptop. I work on short films and multiple youtube channels and I do often work with 4k footage. I edit using premiere and I will also be working with after effects. Im definitely wanting 32GB of RAM.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
My current laptop as only 1GB+256GB of internal space, so anything more than that is an improvement. Lol If it’s the same, so be it. 2GB would be nice though, Im sick of windows warning me about space. Lol

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I am based in Japan so I am not really looking for specific sites to buy from, a lot of US based websites and their deals are probably out of the question for me, so this is more just about what laptop and specs I should look at getting.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Honestly I’ll probably be looking at using it for at least 5-6 years, I need something reliable.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No preference really.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Im not really a fan of razor tbh, no disrespect, mostly due to bad experiences with their products And I dont like the style of their laptops. Ive been using Asus for quite some time, and maybe theres a bit of brand loyalty there and I really like the look of their laptops. But Im also interested in the legion line up They seem nice too.

Two ive considered and have been eyeballing for some time are the Strix Scar 15 and the Legion 7. Both have perks it seems, I like the mechanical keyboard of the scar, and I like the aspect ratio of the legion. Lol

13. What country do you live in?
Japan

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I do sometimes capture gameplay, usually on consoles. I would like to capture games on PC sometimes, but honestly it probably wouldnt be anything too recent or demanding. Those Im just playing for myself. But if it can handle capturing pc games to an extent thats cool. Dont know if this is even worth mentioning but hey why not. Oh also, I dont care about webcams lol Dont need it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS