Gaming laptop gpu

Eyox1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Having a debate with hubby over what would be better in a new laptop,
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M graphics with 4GB total (2x 2GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled
or
NVIDIA GTX 880M 8GB PCIe Video (NB-FANG-204)

Solution
Dual GTX 860M would be more powerful but I'd prefer the GTX 880M. You wouldn't get the microstuttering of SLi or the power/heat problems associated with dual graphics cards. The dual cards would also mean a heavier laptop, even heavier than a laptop with a single graphics card.

My own laptop has a GTX 675MX 4GB, this is roughly equivalent to a GTX 560/560 TI. Mine plays most games on high or ultra, I haven't introduced it to the likes of Crysis 3 or Battlefield 4 yet.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Dual GTX 860M would be more powerful but I'd prefer the GTX 880M. You wouldn't get the microstuttering of SLi or the power/heat problems associated with dual graphics cards. The dual cards would also mean a heavier laptop, even heavier than a laptop with a single graphics card.

My own laptop has a GTX 675MX 4GB, this is roughly equivalent to a GTX 560/560 TI. Mine plays most games on high or ultra, I haven't introduced it to the likes of Crysis 3 or Battlefield 4 yet.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
The 880M has 33-140% more raw processing power than the 860M (depending on the actual variants being compared) and around twice the RAM bandwidth.

Depending on the variants and cost difference, you may be better off with the 880M. Performance is usually more uniform with a single beefier GPU than SLI/CF.

TRENDING THREADS