Question Gaming laptop has meltdowns mid-game

xMattMasterx

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
Hi, for quite a while now my MSI laptop has been struggling with running games. On intensive games (such as the witcher 3) at random points, my laptop has a somewhat meltdown. The game goes extremely laggy and ridiculously delayed to the point where movement/control is impossible and the audio goes extremely slow and static to complement the FPS. At first I thought it was the temperature but my laptop was only at 71'C when this occurred during a test. I then thought maybe the GPU was being overused, however the GPU fluctuates at around 80-90% usage.
The annoying thing is my laptop has not always been this bad, in fact I played through the witcher 3 a couple of years ago on medium/high settings with a solid 60FPS and no issues, but currently i am having these issues on the lowest settings with my FPS capped at 40! When this "meltdown" occurs everything is unresponsive and it takes around 5 seconds for an input to be registered, but as soon as I close the game everything starts working again.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
GPU - GTX 960M
RAM - 16GB
CPU - Intel(R)Core i7-5700 @ 2.70 GHz

xMattMasterx

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
Hi and thanks for the response. I have somewhat found a way to cope with it, I have sprayed compressed air into my laptop vents and keep my ceiling fan on. I have also lowered the resolution of my game quite a lot and it seems to work. After a while the audio starts to crackle but I have found that just turning off my laptop for a short while and loading it up again takes it back to normal for a while. I am assuming that you are correct and it is the gpu overheating and I will keep it closely monitored, thank you!