Gaming Laptop. (Just bought it Today.)

royced

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
The brand is dv7-6135dx, if you want to do more research feel free but these are the exact specs:

Processor Brand: Intel®
Processor: Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i5
Processor Speed: 2.3GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz)

System Memory (RAM): 8GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To: 16GB
Type of Memory (RAM): DDR3

Computer Hard Drive Size: 750GB

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6490M
Video Memory: 1GB GDDR5; up to 4837MB (total)

This CAN run a game like skyrim on medium/high, correct? I'm not allowed to even open the box due to my mother's anticipation for 'suprising' me with gifts,(I already know I have it mom, just let me open it!) and I bought this for roughly 549.99$ USD at best buy. The specs look wonderfull, but when I checked Notebookcheck.net's review on the AMD Radeon HD 6490m, it said that the maximum Video Memory was only 545MB. (This is nearly eight times as weak as what is listed.)

Please confirm my suspicions, as I'm a novice with computer spec's and that division, and all of your opinions are much more greatful than my mom, who knows nothing about technology. (Still trying to convince me to buy a 7$ basket ball instead.)

Again, thank you a tun! If this laptop isn't good, I can still return it by next January 3rd, so I have plenty of time after Christmas(7 days).

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

The CPU and memory are up there so that's fine. I'm not sure how well the 6490M will hold up on medium/high especially with the recent update from steam that seems to have been killing fps for majority of Skyrim players. It should play fairly well, as I know a AMD Radeon HD6670 will play with most settings on high but that's on a desktop. It's a nice laptop overall though. Congrats!