Question Gaming laptop Low FPS for no reason on Windows.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 28, 2020
Hello guys! First of all let me present you the laptop.
Hp Pavilion Gaming 144 hz screen, Nvidia GTX 1650 4 GB, 8 GB RAM, 256 ssd ( windows) and 480 ssd ( linux ) i5 9300h.

The issue is really weird, I play Only CS GO and WoW Wotlk.
In CS GO I have really low frames compared to what I saw on youtube on Windows ( low full HD , 100-160) similar specs on youtube ran 200+ on high, and that's not even the biggest issue, the biggest issue is that I have frame drops from time to time, don't know why, my hardware should be capable of those FPS.
And now, the really weird stuff, I installed Linux, Pop os latest version and use it successfully and when I started CS GO, 300 FPS ALL THE TIME ON LOW( except player models, I like my skins ) NO drops at all, game runs much better.
I have tried everything, power mode, graphics settings igpu and dedicated gpu too( that's not the issue, 30-60% max usage on windows and the IGPU , intel 630 is at 30-40%, on linux 90-99( the nvidia one ). Processor stays between 30-40 % linux and windows, with spikes to 60.
Temps are fine for a laptop, 50-70 Nvidia Gpu, processor 90-95.
The obvious solution would be to play on Linux, but FaceIT anticheat does not work on Linux and Matchmaking has a lot of cheaters even that my trust factor is really high.

Thank you very much for reading this I tried to be as comprehensive as I could, if there are any other questions feel free to ask so I can solve this issue once and forever.

Feb 28, 2020
Download : omen command center and see if that gives you any options.

Bios version was? They dont tell update info on different versions but it might be vbios updates etc you never know.

BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.20, 11/22/2019

Omen command is useless i've had it
Can you change Performance Control on it? Might be that only supports HP omen laptops.

It only supports omen laptops. Can't change anything with it and the bios is really locked. Don't have access to any performance options at all.

Have you already tried to remove old graphics drivers with display driver uninstaller and then installing them again? If not then below:

https://support.hp.com/ro-en/driver...g-15-dk0000-laptop-pc/26122224/model/29964671

Under Driver- Graphics download these 2 drivers to your desktop:
1. middle one :

NVIDIA High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
26.21.14.3198 Rev.A
2. intel one top :
Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver26.20.100.6999 Rev.A

Then download "display driver uninstaller" just google it and get newest version, after that boot into safe mode. Heres how : https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002870214-How-do-I-start-Windows-10-in-Safe-Mode-

After your in safe mode plug off your internet cable and disable wifi, then open DDU and select GPU from the drop down menu, then select Intel. After that press (clean and restart) wait until it finishes and reboots the PC, after that boot into safe mode again (keep network etc unconnected) and repeat it , this time select Nvidia instead of intel. After rebooting 2nd time boot into normal windows and Install both drivers you downloaded earlier from HP site. Reboot between if necressary. After you done both you can plugin internet back on.

You need to apply your nvidia control panel options after that obviously.
"laptop power saving" should be disabled within csgo options too, i guess you already have it off.

Try these launch options for csgo in steam, just copy paste this and apply:

-novid -nod3d9ex -threads 8 -high

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020
First of all sorry for the late reply, I got really busy lately.

Have you already tried to remove old graphics drivers with display driver uninstaller and then installing them again? If not then below:

https://support.hp.com/ro-en/driver...g-15-dk0000-laptop-pc/26122224/model/29964671

Under Driver- Graphics download these 2 drivers to your desktop:
1. middle one :

NVIDIA High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
26.21.14.3198 Rev.A
2. intel one top :
Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver26.20.100.6999 Rev.A

Then download "display driver uninstaller" just google it and get newest version, after that boot into safe mode. Heres how : https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002870214-How-do-I-start-Windows-10-in-Safe-Mode-

After your in safe mode plug off your internet cable and disable wifi, then open DDU and select GPU from the drop down menu, then select Intel. After that press (clean and restart) wait until it finishes and reboots the PC, after that boot into safe mode again (keep network etc unconnected) and repeat it , this time select Nvidia instead of intel. After rebooting 2nd time boot into normal windows and Install both drivers you downloaded earlier from HP site. Reboot between if necressary. After you done both you can plugin internet back on.

Already done that, and even a clean install with no internet.
You need to apply your nvidia control panel options after that obviously.
"laptop power saving" should be disabled within csgo options too, i guess you already have it off.

Try these launch options for csgo in steam, just copy paste this and apply:

-novid -nod3d9ex -threads 8 -high

This actually gave me not a lot more fps, but more smoothness, it does not drop under 140 since i used those commands. I can say that I am satisfied now since gaming is on the side. The issue that I can think of is that from BIOS it does not allow enough current to pass through for the CPU, since is a very power hungry CPU. When I raise the graphics to max it gets my graphic usage high but the CPU stays the same ( it's some kind of bottleneck there ). Needles to say that this is the LAST gaming Laptop that i'll get, this was a good option because I need portability, I am a Vet Student and that's a must now.
From now on I'll just get an ultrabook for portability and a gaming rig for "pleasure" and heavy lifting.

Thank you very much for your replies you kind of solved my problem. An extra setting that I used is from NVidia control pannel " prefer consistent performance/power saver" so that the CPU can get more electricity.

Feb 28, 2020
PROBLEM SOLVED ! Seems like the issue is regarding the IGPU present in the computer, I connected to an external monitor with HDMI and BOOM, 300 fps, no fps drop nothing. High settings. Don't know what is really the issue but I think it might help others.
Over HDMI / Displayport usb-c there is 0 utilization from the IGPU and only the DGpu NVidia runs. On monitor screen there is always a minimum a 30% IGPU and goes all over to 70% at all times, I don't know really what happens, tomorrow will get 8 extra gigs of ram ( maybe is something with ram usage over the background programs and the game and IGPU running, don't know for sure ) but i'll come with an update tomorrow.

If that helped then there Is More things To try. I Will check on this later
Thank you very much for your help.

You should see ram usage with afterburner rivaturner overlay, if its not hitting 90% or more then its not the issue. Atleast not for CSGO unless your having some heavy applications running in the backround.

This is good news its software based issue. You could disable the integrated GPU in bios, save with f10. If there is no option there is other ways too.

Feb 28, 2020
You should see ram usage with afterburner rivaturner overlay, if its not hitting 90% or more then its not the issue. Atleast not for CSGO unless your having some heavy applications running in the backround.

This is good news its software based issue. You could disable the integrated GPU in bios, save with f10. If there is no option there is other ways too.

I checked and it stays at a value 6259 something like this all the time, guess it's maxing out at that value.
I can't disable integrated GPU in bios, is very locked. I can't change a lot of things there, just some basic stuff.

Can you check what driver intel has currently, you can see from device manager. There is few different drivers depending on your Win10 build, what build version are you currently running? : https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001763452-How-to-Check-Windows-10-Build

EDIT : Have you already done this ? http://docs.ipisoft.com/File:NVIDIA-control-panel.png
You can do it for csgo only too "preferred graphics processor", then apply
Already done that, I am on latest everything.

Its the nvidia optimus forcing the internal screen to use IGPU, your hdmi port has straight circuit to your gtx gpu meaning it only uses it.

Can you look for nvidia optimus technology in bios, if you find option disable it.

EDIT: you might be able to also choose graphics device in there

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020
I got it finally ! So the issue was with RAM, don't exactly know why but adding 8 extra GB of ram made every game perform like a dream even on my integrated monitor. IGPU usage dropped and nvidia started to be used more. It can be considered solved ! thanks everybody for your help.

Feb 28, 2020
Thought this model had 2x4gb running In dual channel. Was it 1x8gb before you added?

Anyway nice fix!

1x8. It was a ram usage issue because of the Windows with the IGPU shared ram and some background apps I think because after my tests showed a lowered IGPU usage and more DGPU usage. And in Call of Duty Warzone by fps got boosted from 60 with a lot of drops to 80 and stable. Very nice fix indeed, best 45$ ever spent now I don't regret buying this laptop anymore.