Gaming laptop or desk top?

Feb 19, 2018
Hi all in a dillema,
I recently purchased a gming laptop its a - MSI 17" Leopard Pro GP72MVR So 17 inch screen, 1060 3GB graphics and 7700HQ processor-This cos me £1k exactly
However i have recently seen a HP omen 15 inch but witha 120Hz screen (the MSI is only 60Hz) with 1060 6GB instead of 3GB and the same processor-This is for 1.1k.
Im wondering whether to send the MSI back as it is still unboxed and pay the extra £100 for a better screen although smaller and the better graphics card, will i notice a 120HZ screen on a laptop?
Also considering scrapping all this and just getting a gaming rig to hook up to the monitor and mechanical keyboard i already have?
Would appreciate any advice or comments

Solution
If I were you then I would fork over the extra 100 for the better screen. I personally like 15 inch screens over their 17 inch cousins as it makes the laptop more portable and lighter. And yes, you will see a difference if you play fast moving games like FPS games. Ghosting will be reduced quite a bit and you’ll see smoother gameplay all around. And the 6GB of VRAM will benefit games at higher resolutions.

Now, whether or not to go with a laptop or desktop is a tricky question. It boils down to what YOU want out of your money. If you want the ease of taking something out of the box and start playing right away and the ability to take your gaming with you wherever you go then the laptop is the best option. If you want the ability to...
120Hz vs 60Hz is definitely noticeable in fast paced games.
And the 6GB version definitely much better to have in 2018.
building your own rig might not be good idea ATM due to crazy GPU and RAM prices.
Though you would be able to pick a prebuilt desktop with better specs for that price.

Jwpanz

Honorable
If I were you then I would fork over the extra 100 for the better screen. I personally like 15 inch screens over their 17 inch cousins as it makes the laptop more portable and lighter. And yes, you will see a difference if you play fast moving games like FPS games. Ghosting will be reduced quite a bit and you’ll see smoother gameplay all around. And the 6GB of VRAM will benefit games at higher resolutions.

Now, whether or not to go with a laptop or desktop is a tricky question. It boils down to what YOU want out of your money. If you want the ease of taking something out of the box and start playing right away and the ability to take your gaming with you wherever you go then the laptop is the best option. If you want the ability to change and upgrade components and really only want to game at home then go for the desktop.

You generally get more power for your money with a desktop and if screen size is an issue then a desktop may be better for you in terms of gaming. You can go as large as you want and not be stuck with a 15 or 17 inch screen.

I’m a desktop guy and prefer to play at home so I’m a bit biased. I will always choose a desktop for gaming purely for the ability to upgrade components and put more power into it than you could with a laptop. If your laptop begins to lag behind and become obsolete then you can really only replace the entire unit.

Solution