[SOLVED] Gaming laptop Random FPS drops

May 4, 2020
I’ve had this problem for months and it’s been absolutely driving me crazy. The make and model of the laptop is a ASUS ROG ZEPHYURUS GU502.
Specs:
Integrated graphics (Intel UHD Graphics 630)
RTX 2060
Intel i7-9750H 9th gen
16GB of memory (not dual channel)
Windows 10 64-bit

This problem occurs in everything I play which includes the following games Modern Warfare, Control, Insurgency Sandstorm, and Star Wars Fallen Order. I’ve tried the following to fix the problem. I have removed all Nvidia drivers which include the phys-x drivers, usbc drivers, audio drivers and the display drivers for Nvidia. I have also uninstalled intel drivers. I restarted several times because in the settings whenever I tried to uninstall Nvidia drivers it would ask me to reboot and then try again. After that I deleted geforce experience and then reinstalled intel and Nvidia drivers. I got the latest Nvidia drivers from there website and I reinstalled intel drivers through device manager. That seemed to solve the problem for the night, but then the next morning I tested insurgency and straight from launch I get low FPS on title screen. I restart my computer and then the problem is fixed for a few minutes of gameplay and then boom another frame rate drop. And then I proceed to rage... I had also at one point did a factory reset of the laptop which seemed to fix the problem, but then the problem came back. I’m at a loss at this point and pretty pissed because of the amount of money this damn thing costed. The last thing I did in an attempt to solve the problem is undervolt the cpu with an application called throttle stop. I followed a video which said to adjust the offset voltage on both the cpu core and intel gpu to -100. And it didn’t work... please help I’m going insane. Thank u

Solution
How are the temps? Idle and under load.

Also, if your RAM is running in single channel that could be a major part of your performance issues. Look up a few videos on YouTube and you'll see how it "bottlenecks" your system.

In Nvidia's control panel be sure that your GPU is set to the default and preferred graphics card. If you can disable the on-board Intel graphics in your BIOS.

Also, if your RAM is running in single channel that could be a major part of your performance issues. Look up a few videos on YouTube and you'll see how it "bottlenecks" your system.

In Nvidia's control panel be sure that your GPU is set to the default and preferred graphics card. If you can disable the on-board Intel graphics in your BIOS.

Solution
May 4, 2020

I’m kind of a huge noob at this computer stuff, so I have no clue what a bios is😅

One more question, I noticed when I uninstalled the drivers for the integrated graphics card the screen and icons on my desktop enlarged. Will this happen if I disable the integrated graphics card
That is just because when you uninstalled the drivers windows went back to a standard output driver so that you can still have windows displayed on your screen. Since you have a dedicated GPU your system should recognize that once you disable the on-board graphics.

May 4, 2020
That is just because when you uninstalled the drivers windows went back to a standard output driver so that you can still have windows displayed on your screen. Since you have a dedicated GPU your system should recognize that once you disable the on-board graphics.
Thank you for your time, it means a lot. Some of these people I’ve gone to like geek squad didn’t do <Mod Edit> to help fix this problem

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2020
No problem. I would suggest picking up the EXACT same stick of ram so that you can utilize dual channel.
Will do thank you sir. I’ll keep you updated. Also I looked at the throttle stop application which I used to undervolt the cpu and it said my cpu is rated for around 80 Celsius. I did look at some forums on this particular model and some people do complain about the thermals. But I have the fans at turbo which is the highest setting in armoury crate. I’m not sure If I would be comfortable installing thermal paste. I’m also only 17, I have no steady income cause I’m going to Bootcamp soon. So it’ll probably be some time till I can get some more memory sticks😅.

May 4, 2020
Will do thank you sir. I’ll keep you updated. Also I looked at the throttle stop application which I used to undervolt the cpu and it said my cpu is rated for around 80 Celsius. I did look at some forums on this particular model and some people do complain about the thermals. But I have the fans at turbo which is the highest setting in armoury crate. I’m not sure If I would be comfortable installing thermal paste. I’m also only 17, I have no steady income cause I’m going to Bootcamp soon. So it’ll probably be some time till I can get some more memory sticks😅.
I
No problem. I would suggest picking up the EXACT same stick of ram so that you can utilize dual channel.
Sorry just one more question, do I have to buy the 16GB stick or could I buy the 8GB stick of the exact same RAM

Sorry just one more question, do I have to buy the 16GB stick or could I buy the 8GB stick of the exact same RAM
You always want to get the exact everything for Ram. Don't want to mix ram.

And installing thermal paste is a bit more complicated on laptops but its easy. Lots of tutorials on YouTube.

Download HWMonitor and check the temps when Idle and underload.