[SOLVED] Gaming laptop suddenly heavily stutters in all games

The Dude

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2014
Greetings guys,

So i bought a gaming laptop about 5 months ago, an Asus fx503vm, with an i5 7300hq, gtx 1060 3gb and ssd+hdd
At first all games ran very smoothly and without any kind of problem, and they were as smooth as in my slightly inferior desktop (i5 3rd gen gtx 1050ti)
I don't know at what point exactly it happened, but now all games have heavy stutter every couple of seconds.
I tired a plethora of "solutions" but nothing has worked, it seems that it's a problem with cpu, since it's almost always at 100% while gaming, while gpu is at around 40%.
I saw people with the same laptop as mine running RE2 for example with smooth 60fps, while in mine i cannot run it at very low 30 fps without heavy stuttering.
I tried to mess around with throttlestop but it didn't yield any results.
Does someone have any idea why this could happen? I even tried rolling back nvidia drivers to a time when It was working properly but no luck.
And by the way the games i used to play at 60fps without a single stutter (mostly dirt 4) are now almost unplayable
Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Solution
10% while idle is not that normal. What gpu usage do you get while gaming? It should be at 99% or so. Remove and 3rd party programs for overclocking, throttlestop etc, if you can get to bios, get inside and load bios defaults. See if that helps.

The Dude

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2014
Verify your cpu& gpu usage and temps. Check your Task Manager for processes taxing your cpu (while idle and while gaming). 100% cpu usage all the time and for all games is not normal. Looks like something is using cpu resources
Thank you, the temperature were fine, they never exceed 75 for both cpu and gpu, for the processes i tried closing most of the processes that weren't critical to the system, but no luck. While idle cpu is at 5 to 10% which seems normal

The Dude

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2014
10% while idle is not that normal. What gpu usage do you get while gaming? It should be at 99% or so. Remove and 3rd party programs for overclocking, throttlestop etc, if you can get to bios, get inside and load bios defaults. See if that helps.
I'll try that and see if there's a difference, msi afterburner is always opened. By the way gpu usage never goes above 50%, all games are limited by cpu

The Dude

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2014
I forgot to add this, i also noticed something very strange. The cpu clock drops during gaming from the usual 3.1ghz to 1.5 ghz, sometimes 1.2 ghz for long periods and this seems to happen during stuttering.
I tried to stress test cpu to force it to happen, but it's ONLY in games

The Dude

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2014
It was actually the bios, i did a bios update and everything is now working as it's supposed to be, thank you so much for your help

Nice to hear but hmmm keep in my mind that your experience looks like mobo vrm throttling as well if it wasn't the cpu heating up. Maybe bios was configured a way where cpu overvoltage plus gpu heat was heating the vrm beyond limits. Hope it is solved now.

The Dude

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2014
Nice to hear but hmmm keep in my mind that your experience looks like mobo vrm throttling as well if it wasn't the cpu heating up. Maybe bios was configured a way where cpu overvoltage plus gpu heat was heating the vrm beyond limits. Hope it is solved now.
That's what i thought as well, the problem was that there was no way to confirm it, since BIOS config didn't have any options for power or cpu clocks, now it's solved thank you so much :)