Gaming laptop suddenly underperforming

Feb 7, 2019
Hey everyone!
I'm experiencing a really annoying situation on my ASUS ROG GL552JX laptop, and I can't pinpoint the cause of my problems.

Here you can find my userbenchmark results, if they are of any relevance: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14494139

Specs:
Win10 Home, Build 17763
Intel Core i7 4720HQ
8GB RAM
256GB SSD (on which Windows is installed)
1TB HDD
Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M, DirectX 12

Issue description:
Until almost 2 weeks ago, I could play CS:GO on low settings at consistent and smooth fps (can't tell exactly how many because I never checked, yet I know it was always satisfying and without any visual lag), or PES2019 Lite on low settings, getting around 30fps. After an unknown event occurred, CS:GO started having incredible lag spikes (the fps values go crazy between 1fps and >60fps, without stabilizing even for a second) and PES2019 became simply unplayable. I have a strange feeling that somehow PES pushed the limits of my machine a bit, although my specs were meeting the minimal requirements for the game.

I am writing here as a last resort: I've cleaned the insides of my laptop, reinstalled Windows and did all the updates, updated BIOS, updated Nvidia drivers, ran chkdsk and sfc scans, malware scans, all without any success. I am also using a cooler to support the inbuilt fan, as it has the tendency to run constantly. However this isn't especially related to the problem, as it had been running like that since the machine was new.

I will provide any necessary additional information. Thank you for your time and help!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS