Question Gaming Laptop to Gaming Monitor Display Help Please

vaheko1990

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hello, I want to purchase a gaming laptop & monitor, but before I buy them, I need some help and guidance to get a better understanding with trying to connect the laptop to the monitor for display. Links below. Thanks it advance for your help :)

Laptop: Link To Laptop (bestbuy)

Monitor: Link To Monitor (newegg)

Question 1)
I don't know how to connect the laptop to the monitor. The monitor only supports HDMI 2.0, whereas the laptop is HDMI 2.1; Thus, I won't be able to get the 240 hz display at 1440p using HDMI option.

That leaves me with displayport 1.4, but I don't think the laptop has displayport 1.4? I couldn't find info anywhere that the laptop has displayport 1.4.

The laptops specs show that it has thunderbolt 4 port, but I'm not familiar with thunderbolt nor how a thunderbolt port can be used to display a monitor from the laptop. I did read somewhere that a thunderbolt port can be used to connect to a displayport 1.4 using a cable or adapter of some sort? Again though, not savy enough to know.

Question 2)
The monitor is a 1440P monitor, but the laptop is a 2560 x 1600 resolution. Is this a compatibility issue? Will the monitor not be able to display in the correct resolution?

And of course, I wouldn't want to lose any features if I did connect the laptop to monitor somehow. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have been told that connecting a pc to a monitor through hdmi means that gsync feature wouldn't work or something like that... Hopefully, that wouldn't be the case with thunderbolt or displayport.

Please help and thank you again lovely community! =)

Reactions: bniknafs9

vaheko1990

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
1) The laptop has a Thunderbolt port, which also outputs DisplayPort. So you can use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter.

2) The laptop screen's capabilities has no effect on the external monitor's capabilities.
Nice! Thank you sir. =)
Now, just to make sure, by using the thuderbolt port with an adapter, I will still be able to utilize GSYNC, HDR, and all those goody features, right?

I believe I need to use "DisplayPort Alternate Mode" when in the thunderbolt port to get gsync working?

Please, if you can clarify this for me as well. Appreciate it.

Nice! Thank you sir. =)
Now, just to make sure, by using the thuderbolt port with an adapter, I will still be able to utilize GSYNC, HDR, and all those goody features, right?

I believe I need to use "DisplayPort Alternate Mode" when in the thunderbolt port to get gsync working?

Please, if you can clarify this for me as well. Appreciate it.
Yes, the Thunderbolt port is connected to the NVIDIA GPU so you get all those features (though HDR depends on the monitor). And you don't need to do anything regarding alt modes, that's handled automatically.

Hi guys I’m planning to get Lenovo legion 5i this Christmas and I’m think getting a monitor as well next Easter or summer.if I bought a monitor and used that mainly for gaming and used the laptop screen for like Spotify, social media or like YouTube and stuff that would that effect the laptop in anyway like fps drops on the monitor and like overheating and stuff
You should really start your own topic instead of piggy backing on someone else's.

But anyway, adding a second monitor doesn't typically degrade performance or overheating issues. The GPU may use like 1-2 watts more but that's about it.