Question Gaming laptop used to run games extremely well but now it can barely handle anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2020
I have had my Asus ROG gaming laptop for a couple years and a while back, it was able to run games like Battlefield 4 on the highest graphics settings with absolutely no issue. But now, I can barely run any game on even the lowest settings. Whenever I try to play a game, even on the lowest settings, I can be lucky to get even 15 fps and my mouse delay when playing any game is extreme. I'm happy to provide any information I can and any video footage of the issue.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 530
RAM: DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM
SSD: 128GB SSD (M.2 2280)SATA3
HDD: 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
Chipset: Intel® HM170 Chipset

The laptop model is: ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71

Thanks!

I have had my Asus ROG gaming laptop for a couple years and a while back, it was able to run games like Battlefield 4 on the highest graphics settings with absolutely no issue. But now, I can barely run any game on even the lowest settings. Whenever I try to play a game, even on the lowest settings, I can be lucky to get even 15 fps and my mouse delay when playing any game is extreme. I'm happy to provide any information I can and any video footage of the issue.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 530
RAM: DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM
SSD: 128GB SSD (M.2 2280)SATA3
HDD: 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
Chipset: Intel® HM170 Chipset

The laptop model is: ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71

Thanks!

Have you checked your temps using something like HW monitor? My guess would be the machine is overheating....

To fix the problem you will need to remove the fans from the heatsink assembly and remove any dust built up, I had a similar laptop to this and ran into this problem - you can get a layer of dust form between the fan and the cooling fins which blocks most of the air flow which will force the cpu and gpu to throttle down to prevent overheating. If you hear the fans really ramping up that is a sign this is the problem.

The other thing that can happen is the thermal compound that transfers heat from the cpu / gpu to the heat sink itself can get dried out when it gets old. To resolve that you need to remove the heatsink assembly completely, clean off the cpu / gpu and apply new thermal compound. Isopropyl alcohol is the best way to remove the old thermal paste.

Those two things combined should bring the machine back to full performance.

Reactions: dudio
Apr 8, 2020
Have you checked your temps using something like HW monitor? My guess would be the machine is overheating....

To fix the problem you will need to remove the fans from the heatsink assembly and remove any dust built up, I had a similar laptop to this and ran into this problem - you can get a layer of dust form between the fan and the cooling fins which blocks most of the air flow which will force the cpu and gpu to throttle down to prevent overheating. If you hear the fans really ramping up that is a sign this is the problem.

The other thing that can happen is the thermal compound that transfers heat from the cpu / gpu to the heat sink itself can get dried out when it gets old. To resolve that you need to remove the heatsink assembly completely, clean off the cpu / gpu and apply new thermal compound. Isopropyl alcohol is the best way to remove the old thermal paste.

Those two things combined should bring the machine back to full performance.
Thanks! I noticed that whenever I play games my cpu and gpu temps are at 80 to 90 degrees. Is this hot?

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Thanks! I noticed that whenever I play games my cpu and gpu temps are at 80 to 90 degrees. Is this hot?
Yes that’s hot but if the cpu is below 95-99 then it shouldn’t be throttling too much the gpu probably throttles at 85 ish. Posibly your computer could be using the integrated gpu to play games rather than you 960. Also what did you used to get of bf4 before this was happening?

Apr 8, 2020
Yes that’s hot but if the cpu is below 95-99 then it shouldn’t be throttling too much the gpu probably throttles at 85 ish. Posibly your computer could be using the integrated gpu to play games rather than you 960. Also what did you used to get of bf4 before this was happening?
I used to get 70-80 fps on the high settings on bf4. I just ran the game again and my cpu is at 80-85 degrees and my gpu is at 80-85 degrees. I was running at 20-30 fps on low but mostly in the twenties and on high settings i was running 15 to 25 fps. This was all on a very small map. One of the biggest issues is that when there is lag, it feels like i have massive mouse delay so i cant aim or anything. One of the biggest problems is that when I try to run call of duty, warzone, I cant get over 15 fps on the lowest settings even though my laptop reaches the spec requirements.

I used to get 70-80 fps on the high settings on bf4. I just ran the game again and my cpu is at 80-85 degrees and my gpu is at 80-85 degrees. I was running at 20-30 fps on low but mostly in the twenties and on high settings i was running 15 to 25 fps. This was all on a very small map. One of the biggest issues is that when there is lag, it feels like i have massive mouse delay so i cant aim or anything. One of the biggest problems is that when I try to run call of duty, warzone, I cant get over 15 fps on the lowest settings even though my laptop reaches the spec requirements.

That is warm enough to throttle, I strongly suggest trying to clean out the cooling assembly before anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.