[SOLVED] Gaming laptop vs building a pc with a 1500-2k budget

Jul 12, 2020
So im currently running my y520 in sig, and overall im pretty happy with it. But that 1050ti is struggling pulling modern games at anywhere near 1080 resolution. If i wanna play down at 720p i can run 60+fps pretty well on most games, but ive been wanting more. Im at a loss here, i love having a portable package, screen, and peripherals all in one. But for my budget i could build a beast of a gaming pc, and run everything i could ever ask for at 120+easy on very high settings. I just dont know if i can give up the mobile package. So heres where i need some help, ive already put together a pretty kick ass pc build, but im banging my head against the wall trying to find a laptop that i should pick up. I would like a 17", but 15" isnt out. My big hangup is how far should i go in the graphics card department? for 1200-1500 your getting into a 2060/2070, for a little more your into a 2080/2080 super, but is the juice worth the squeeze in a laptop? Obviously i game, but i also do graphics work, and web/video use.

Solution
yes, as phaaze states, sadly that is the compromise for portability.
When you make it smaller, it has less cooling potential so performance is lesser, and also the manufacturing and tooling of such a small and portable form factor costs more so overall it costs the same for less.

You have to make a choice. Perfomance, or portability.

I would seriously say you need to sit and truly consider the portability thing.
Ask yourself real question actually questioning where you go with it, what you take it out of the house for and what you use it for when you go places, how often you actually do this and thusly is it all that super important that you have it with you when you leave the house.

Cuz if all it is, is just that you like the "IDEA"...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you really value the mobility that much...
Sad news: at that budget, to get the laptop equivalent(performance), I could see myself easily needing to spend 1000USD more...

The closest gpu laptop equivalent of an RTX 2060/2070 is the 2080(mobile) - none of that Max-Q crap.
The closest cpu laptop equivalent to a 10600K is like a 10980HK.
A laptop with that kind of cpu + gpu combo is going to need some serious cooling, so it's going to be a big one - but that's just going to make it cost all the more...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
yes, as phaaze states, sadly that is the compromise for portability.
When you make it smaller, it has less cooling potential so performance is lesser, and also the manufacturing and tooling of such a small and portable form factor costs more so overall it costs the same for less.

You have to make a choice. Perfomance, or portability.

I would seriously say you need to sit and truly consider the portability thing.
Ask yourself real question actually questioning where you go with it, what you take it out of the house for and what you use it for when you go places, how often you actually do this and thusly is it all that super important that you have it with you when you leave the house.

Cuz if all it is, is just that you like the "IDEA" of having it be portable , but don't actually take real advantage of that aspect, then don't bother and spend the money on a nice stationary PC.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Generally it is 2-3x times more money for a laptop than an equivalent desktop, granted you already have keyboard+mouse+screen.

Other consideration is how mobile are you really when you have to carry that powerbrick around because the battery dies within the hour otherwise. Going to have to put the laptop down somewhere just to charge it. Do you have outlets everywhere you go?

Jul 12, 2020
I guess i should add to the way i put portability, i travel for work, so i may end up working out a hotel a few weeks/months at a time. Basically portability from the standpoint of being able to bring it with me and use it without carrying around a 24-27" monitor, case, and keyboard. But yeah i do get the performance ratio just isnt there for laptops, as far as cost goes. Thats why i figured on 2g to buy a laptop as your buying a pretty slick 17" for roughly that much. But im not familiar enough with all of the brands in the game to know which is a good brand to stick with.

TRENDING THREADS