[SOLVED] Gaming Laptop

Oct 22, 2019
Hello,
I want to buy a laptop, mainly for games. I don't play new games though. I have to choose from these three:
  • MSI GF63 with Intel Core i5-8300H and nVidia GeForce GTX 1050M
  • Lenovo Ideapad 330, same specs
  • Acer Nitro 5, same specs

Which one would be the best? Each has its disadvantages, I play mainly League of Legends, so my expectations aren't huge.

Solution
I'd take the MSI GF63. The Lenovo doesn't even compete as far as I can tell. The Acer has a few minor advantages. My preference is for the MSI. As gaming should be more comfortable on the keyboard. It is thin and light. The cooler keyboard and trackpad temps will be more comfortable.

• The Lenovo has a tiny battery 31Whr vs 51Whr in the MSI and 59Whr in the Acer.
  • The MSI and Acer screens are about even. The Acer gets slightly brighter and the MSI has a slightly wider color gamut. The Lenovo display is garbage as far as I can tell. Unfortunately the review source for the Lenovo, Acer and MSI had the cheaper display option (laptopmag.com). But other sources aren't promising either. It's nothing spectacular for sure. I prefer to...
I'd take the MSI GF63. The Lenovo doesn't even compete as far as I can tell. The Acer has a few minor advantages. My preference is for the MSI. As gaming should be more comfortable on the keyboard. It is thin and light. The cooler keyboard and trackpad temps will be more comfortable.

• The Lenovo has a tiny battery 31Whr vs 51Whr in the MSI and 59Whr in the Acer.
  • The MSI and Acer screens are about even. The Acer gets slightly brighter and the MSI has a slightly wider color gamut. The Lenovo display is garbage as far as I can tell. Unfortunately the review source for the Lenovo, Acer and MSI had the cheaper display option (laptopmag.com). But other sources aren't promising either. It's nothing spectacular for sure. I prefer to use the same review source when comparing laptops. As different sources have different methods of display, keyboard, heat, &c testing.
  • The MSI has a firm keyboard. Key travel is a little shallow but the firmness makes up for it. The Acer keyboard is spongy. The Lenovo keyboard is decent.
  • The MSI is the least bulky and lightest.
  • The MSI is cooler in the touchpad and keyboard area. By a wide margin over the Acer. The Acer is slightly cooler on the bottom. I couldn't say for the Lenovo as the test unit from the same review source had a lighter CPU and GPU. Which also ruined the battery test for a Lenovo. Logically a much smaller battery will have far worse battery life on the same specs.

Reactions: hycelinhoo
Solution
Oct 22, 2019
@velocityg4 Thank you for response :D.

These two:
MSI - https://laptopmedia.com/laptop-specs/msi-gl63-9/
Lenovo - https://laptopmedia.com/laptop-specs/lenovo-ideapad-330-43/ (480 gb ssd instead of 120)

These two are the main options, it's impossible for me to get Acer in good price now. I've been also thinking about this one https://laptopmedia.com/laptop-specs/hp-pavilion-gaming-15-2018-20/ . To be honest all gaming laptops that cost about 780$ in my country have pretty similar specification. I've had my old HP laptop for 6 years and I'm satisfied with it taking into account that I'm using it about 5 hours everyday. I've also heard that Lenovo is very bad in making cases for their laptops, and MSI supposedly has problems with overheating (I don't play demanding games though), so I still hesitate. Still, MSI seems the best for me so far. What do you think? Ohh, I also have to add that I don't care much how they look, I want them to just function well... Thank you all for responses :D

Last edited: