Gaming laptop's CPU goes up to 97°C while gaming

Jan 19, 2019
It's a i7-8720HK.

I've had the laptop for 7 months and while it was pretty hot, it never went above 90°C while gaming, I noticed the heating problems after I got my system board replaced. Note that the system board can't be seperated from the GPU and CPU, so when they replaced it they consequently replaced the GPU and CPU as well.

Should I use my warranty to send it to my manufacturers technicians again so they can take a look ?

Or should I just go to my local repair/retail shop so he can re-paste and check the heat pipes ?(as I am too scared to do it myself)

Or should I just undervolt and not do anything about it ? (I found that undervolting to -0.130 V is stable and the heat goes down to 88° under load)

What should I do ?

I checked the notebookcheck review of my laptop, and it's definitely not normal, they wrote that the average temperature they've had stock was 81C.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
if its in warranty why would you take it to local shop ?

they probably cheaped out on thermal paste when they opened it up
try placing your laptop on a flat surface( a table with no table cloth) and see it that make any difference

jitendrad

Notable
Dec 28, 2018
This is a common problem with laptop even my laptop CPU have touched temperature of 98C. The laptop default cooling system is not sufficient for proper cooling. I strongly recommend you to get a external laptop cooler.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
It's a i7-8720HK.

I've had the laptop for 7 months and while it was pretty hot, it never went above 90°C while gaming, I noticed the heating problems after I got my system board replaced. Note that the system board can't be seperated from the GPU and CPU, so when they replaced it they consequently replaced the GPU and CPU as well.

Should I use my warranty to send it to my manufacturers technicians again so they can take a look ?

Or should I just go to my local repair/retail shop so he can re-paste and check the heat pipes ?(as I am too scared to do it myself)

Or should I just undervolt and not do anything about it ? (I found that undervolting to -0.130 V is stable and the heat goes down to 88° under load)

What should I do ?

I checked the notebookcheck review of my laptop, and it's definitely not normal, they wrote that the average temperature they've had stock was 81C.
the i7 8720hk is a monster cpu. its going to run hot in a laptop period. especially if you overclock it.