[SOLVED] Gaming Laptops

Usman Anwar

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2014
so the only issue for me in choosing a gaming laptop is the GPU. Currently, every retailer has 1660ti powered laptops available. the RTX powered laptops are in short supply because of global components shortage. what should i do? shall i go ahead with the 1660ti gaming laptop or not?
My main concern is that 6GB VRAM won't be enough for games in the future. Should I wait?
any suggestions ?

Solution
Amazon, EBay, etc. aren't available in my country. even if they are, its a logistical nightmare to buy and/or claim warranty. that is why people in my country prefer locally available laptops/desktops.

In that case. 6GB should be fine for several years. You may just need to turn down the settings in some games to fit within 6GB.

I would suggest with purchase questions. To preface it with your country and budget. Which is a part of the standard forum purchase question form. It helps allay confusion in the answers.
The only thing I see VRAM being an issue in the future is when the quality of textures continues to raise up such that today's "High quality" becomes tomorrows "Medium quality." But even then, it may not be that much of a problem.

I'd wager though the GPU performance itself is going to become "obsolete" sooner than VRAM capacity being a problem.

Reactions: Why_Me

Usman Anwar

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2014
The only thing I see VRAM being an issue in the future is when the quality of textures continues to raise up such that today's "High quality" becomes tomorrows "Medium quality." But even then, it may not be that much of a problem.

I'd wager though the GPU performance itself is going to become "obsolete" sooner than VRAM capacity being a problem.
so 1660ti will be okay for at least 2-3 years in a gaming laptop?
I mostly play FPS games like COD, Battlefield on high settings. u sure there won't be a bottleneck with the 6gb VRAM ?

Usman Anwar

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2014
Amazon, EBay, etc. aren't available in my country. even if they are, its a logistical nightmare to buy and/or claim warranty. that is why people in my country prefer locally available laptops/desktops.

In that case. 6GB should be fine for several years. You may just need to turn down the settings in some games to fit within 6GB.

I would suggest with purchase questions. To preface it with your country and budget. Which is a part of the standard forum purchase question form. It helps allay confusion in the answers.

Solution

Usman Anwar

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2014

the link u suggested isn't available.
one more thing, if there's a 2060 of 6GB variant and 1660ti, which one should i choose?
the 1660ti variant or the 2060 (6GB) variant?

so 1660ti will be okay for at least 2-3 years in a gaming laptop?
I mostly play FPS games like COD, Battlefield on high settings. u sure there won't be a bottleneck with the 6gb VRAM ?
Unless you somehow add 16K texture packs to those games, there isn't going to be an issue with 6GB of VRAM.

the link u suggested isn't available.
one more thing, if there's a 2060 of 6GB variant and 1660ti, which one should i choose?
the 1660ti variant or the 2060 (6GB) variant?
They both have basically identical performance. Unless you care about RTX features, get the 1660 Ti.

Reactions: Usman Anwar
The amount of vram included in a graphics adapter will be appropriate to the performance of the card.
Do not buy on specs, buy on performance.
And, nvidia and amd use vram differently so that is not a good comparison.

I might add that stronger graphics adapters will also come with more heat and throttling.

g-unit1111

Titan
one more thing, a lot of these gaming laptops have Quad core 10th gen/11th gen processors. will it bottleneck when gaming ?

The thing is though, is don't expect to do any sort of heavy gaming on a laptop 1660TI. You won't run flagship titles like Fallout 4 or Cyberpunk at full settings, but you will get about midrange performance. If you want something that is a bit of a speed boost I'd recommend looking at the 4th gen Ryzen laptops - the 4800H is a far better laptop CPU than the current generation Intels are and not that much more expensive.