News Gaming Monitor Demand Fell in 2022, but Analysts Predict Quick Rebound

InvalidError

Titan
Of course... because nobody who upgraded their systems out of cycle during COVID upgraded their monitor(s) along the way.

I'm still using my 10 years old 24" 1200p Dell UltraSharp as my primary monitor, still got no plan to replace it unless it croaks or OLED becomes available in a 27" 1440p120+ format under $300.

Reactions: MiniITXEconomy

MiniITXEconomy

Prominent
Dec 9, 2022
Sure, I can make a prediction like that, too. If the Samsung Odyssey starts selling for $250-350, you'll see a huge resurgence! 🙄

But as it stands, I'm not paying $1,200 for it or $2,000 for a flexible OLED panel (Xeneon Flex), man, come on...

TCOMC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2013
Not sure if others have the same mind set. I'd need to upgrade my video card first before upgrading my monitor. And if video cards are priced as they are then getting a new monitor is way down the line. I can keep living with 1080 @ 144 Hz

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I've been trying to buy a monitor for the past 2 years or so. Finally, there are models that look promising specs-wise, but they're new models and thus haven't received the same kind of price cuts as older monitors.

One that's caught my interest is the ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQMR:

For me, the main downside is really just the price ($650), which is a lot for a 27" monitor without array backlighting. I don't actually want that feature, FWIW.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
still got no plan to replace it unless it croaks or OLED becomes available in a 27" 1440p120+ format under $300.
I'd spend a lot more on OLED, but only if I had reason to believe I might get 10 years out of it. AFAIK, the burn-in problems haven't been conclusively solved. I'd probably go up to $1k, but anything costing so much better last a minimum of 5 years.

That aside, it's a little ironic that I'm in the market for a LCD when OLEDs are finally on the market, because I've waited literally decades to buy an OLED monitor. I think I'll be waiting a bit longer...

D

Deleted member 2838871

Of course... because nobody who upgraded their systems out of cycle during COVID upgraded their monitor(s) along the way.

I'm still using my 10 years old 24" 1200p Dell UltraSharp as my primary monitor, still got no plan to replace it unless it croaks or OLED becomes available in a 27" 1440p120+ format under $300.

I'm perfectly happy with my LG CX 48" display... 4K 60 is great for the gaming I do.

I'd spend a lot more on OLED, but only if I had reason to believe I might get 10 years out of it. AFAIK, the burn-in problems haven't been conclusively solved.

The burn-in problems are grossly overstated. I'm not saying it can't happen... like if you leave your display on the windows taskbar for 100 hours straight at peak brightness or something... but even that is unlikely. Most OLEDs today have pixel shifting... and I personally have a 77" CX in my home theater... a 65" C1 in my bedroom... a 65" C1 in the other bedroom... and a 48" CX on my PC... all have thousands of hours on them and none have burn in of any kind. My first was a 65" B7 in 2017 that I sold with over 6000 hours on it... and yep... no burn in.

OLED is the best display IMO. Picture quality is unmatched.

Reactions: bit_user
D

Deleted member 2838871

As is the price tag :)

A blue-LED array with R/G phosphor/qdots could probably beat OLED in most aspects. The reason we don't have those is probably because LEDs cannot be manufactured across a large surface with the degree of uniformity and repeatability required for a monitor or TV.

You‘re not wrong. OLED prices have come down a lot though… and I don’t expect it to be the best forever.

TRENDING THREADS