Gaming Monitor for PS4 PRO

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Hi,

I'm stuck between these two monitors:

LG 27UD69P-W
ASUS MG28UQ

The Asus looks like its better for an overall gaming experience but I really don't like the look of it. The LG has a 5ms response time but I love its style. Combine that with my PS4 PRO (White) and it will look absolutely amazing.

So I guess my main question is: Does the Asus far exceed the LG in terms of a gaming monitor? And would it be stupid just to pick the LG over the Asus because I like the style of it more.

Thanks

Solution
LATENCY:
Input latency on wireless controller is apparently pretty LOW now, but I can't find an actual number.

To be clear, the ENTIRE input delay is defined as "BUTTON PRESS TO PHOTON DETECTION BY EYES" or something like that. If we break this down it is:

(Ignoring Network Latency too as that's hard to calculate, so we'll just assume it's fair to everybody. Network latency is why an MMO like World of Warcraft has "hits" not require precision. No sudden SHIELD RAISE to defend attach at the last split second as it's not feasible.)

1. Time to process on-screen data then PRESS BUTTON
(see then respond)
2. Time to transmit button press
3. Time to decode button press data by CONSOLE
10ms including #2 and #3?)
4. Time to process the new...
1) The LG appears to be an IPS panel, and the Asus appears to be a TN panel so the LG screen has better color with less viewing angle issues.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

2) AUDIO?
What's your plan for audio? Unless you use a non-HDMI audio output somehow you will need to have a HEADPHONE JACK (or audio output) that can pass through the HDMI audio to speakers/headphones.

about RESPONSE TIMES:

This is the time it takes a pixel to change color. If it's too slow you can get a blur/ghosting affect. You can still see that at 5ms in some cases but it's fairly MINOR.

So 1ms is "better" but only the TN panels can do this and they have drawbacks such as the quality of the COLOR as said and the VIEWING ANGLES (so color shifts off-axis).

Frankly, the LG monitor (aside from audio issue?) seems to be the best choice.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Between the two they are pretty close. IPS@5ms vs TN@1ms

Depending on what else you are planning to do with it I would say go for the LG with the IPS panel for a bit better colour reproduction since you will be at 60Hz max anyway

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Thanks for the information.

I own a pair of ASTRO A40's so I connect them to my PS4 for audio.

But what if I wanted to connect a sound bar or speakers? Most likely I won't but just incase. Better to know.

And response times:

I'll mostly be playing FPS shooters. With a 5ms response time would that be a noticeable disadvantage? I know you said its minor but how minor?

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Thanks so LG seems like the way forward.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

5ms is more than adequate for gaming. The response times are somewhat marketing wank as well, so keep that in mind.

AUDIO:
Aside from your headphones, I did find out there is a 3.5mm headphone jack on the back so you could connect that to desktop stereo SPEAKERS and the audio would work with both the PC and the PS4 PRO when you switch the screen from DP to HDMI.

SHOOTERS and 5ms ?
You may be CONFUSING two different issues. RESPONSE TIME affects the on-screen experience so may add a small amount of blur in some situations (minor).

INPUT LAG is what would be more applicable to shooters and that's the time from when a new frame is presented to the monitor to when the screen updates. It's probably a non-issue with these monitors (but is for most HDTV's).

OTHER:
If your PC has a Freesync-capable gaming AMD card (i.e. R7-260X or newer) then you may want to do two things:
1) cap to 55FPS so it stays in Freesync range instead of hitting 60FPS and reverting to VSYNC ON (lag) or VSYNC OFF (screen tear)

Can be done globally, or per-game (not sure how to do per game but likely can with some tool like RadeonPro). Also..

2) tweak settings so drops BELOW Freesync range is also minimized. Range appears to be ONLY 48Hz to 60Hz... at the very least if you have a choice choose to default to VSYNC OFF (screen tear but not added stutter).

Hope this isn't too confusing.

3) SHOOTERS - it may be ideal to run those games VSYNC OFF and keep well above 100FPS. You will reduce the total input lag (no VSYNC buffer) and screen tear can be minimal depending on the FPS.

AMD's newer drivers support the same feature as NVidia's FAST SYNC so if you can get over 120FPS on a 60Hz monitor it will only draw the last FULLY COMPLETED frame (and discard the other) so the screen is essentially 60x per second (no screen tear like VSYNC ON) however input lag is less than normal VSYNC so it's slightly more responsive.

sorry to confuse but it's complicated.

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Tbh I really did want to get a 43" 4k HDR tv but my mates convinced me that I need a gaming monitor to play fps (destiny 2) somewhat competitively. I showed them a few 4k HDR tv's but they all said I would be at a really big disadvantage. Here are the tv's I was looking at:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd-43xe7002bu-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10164485-pdt.html#srcid=11026

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/televisions/televisions/lg-49uj701v-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10160568-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd43xe8077su-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10159513-pdt.html

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Awesome. So the response time is no issue. Input lag is no issue. Looks like I have my answer between the two.

Now that @imacow has mentioned tv's, what is your take on them in my situation?

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

You certainly don't NEED a gaming monitor for PS4 Pro, that is for sure

MONITOR VS HDTV?

Monitor.

1) How close are you sitting?
My 27" is great when sitting at a desk. I'm roughly two feet from the screen.

2) HDTV's have added input lag. Some are okay, but you have to do your research.

3) PC GAMING is problematic on 4K HDTV's because there's no 2560x1440 option. 4K gets about half the FPS and usually nearly IDENTICAL visuals or pretty close, so you get stuck between using 1080p and 4K. 2560x1440 for gaming resolution is the sweet spot.

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Mhmm. All I need my monitor/tv for is PS4 pro. Don't own a PC.

Only problem I'm finding is that people are saying the input lag on tv's are noticeable.

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

1. If I have a monitor I can be at a desk. If I have a TV I can lay down in bed. But I do have enough space to move my chair back a good metre or so.
2. What would be acceptable input lag for fps, bare in mind that I do want to play competetively? Also I've heard that with 4k@30fps the input lag can increases a lot
3. No need for PC gaming. And I believe the PS4 PRO has either 4k or 1080p.

AND TO CONFUSE THINGS...

If it was me, and PC gaming was the priority, AND I had a good AMD card (RX-470 or whatever) I'd probably go with a 27", IPS, 2560x1440, 144Hz, Freesync monitor with Freesync range from about 40Hz up to 144Hz (some cap at 90Hz and that creates big problems setting up games).

*You'd then be gaming at 1080p for the PS4 PRO, however I assume it would render at 4K/upscaled 4K then drop down to 1080p. It won't be quite as SHARP as 4K but would still look amazing.

The PC DESKTOP would be more fluid at 144Hz (i.e. cursor), and faster games would be FAR MORE FLUID running 100FPS+ with the monitor in Freesync mode.

*I would set a GLOBAP FPS CAP in that case of about 140FPS, but still cap slower-paced games as needed (RadeonPro) simply to reduce fan noise (i.e. CIV5 capped at 60FPS).

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Problem is that those things are not the same for every person. Some people have a hard time seeing the benifit of refresh rates over 60Hz and others swear they can tell the difference between 144Hz and above. Same goes for input lag. Some people are more sensitive to it that others, unless it is ridiculous.

A monitor is better, no doubt, but for the screen dimensions and price... I don't know.

1. you need to decide on your priority then. If HDTV requires a bed I'd focus on the MONITOR; at least that's where I'd spend most of my time.

2. 30ms or less?
https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

"The OLED55B6P now exhibits a very low average input lag of 28ms, making it a great choice for most gamers. While it’s not quite as fast as the KS8000, most gaming monitors we tested average around 10ms of input lag, which are primarily designed for hardcore gamers."

3. okay..

It does seem like the PS4 PRO is your focus, but then it's also bed vs chair so that's a decision that is up to you.

If the HDTV is where you would focus then do your research on input lag, HDR support, the overall QUALITY of the display etc.

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Ahh Yh I Really do wish consoles could up their game with fps. Maybe in 2020 they'll catch up with PC's today.

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
I can still sit down on a chair with a tv. And I'll say I do have a price limit. Anything below £800 would be acceptable for me.

So my requirements for a tv:

- £800
- 40-45"
- low input lag
- 4k HDR

I'll try find some and see how it goes

iamacow

Admirable

Destiny 2 is lock to 30FPS on consoles. SO basically ANY TV will be good enough since the fresh rate WILL BE 33ms. Doesn't matter how nice of a monitor you get, the image from the PS4 / XBOX only refresh 30 times a second.

Don't get me started on Tik rate. That makes it even worse. PC players have it slightly better with a cap of 200FPS, but I think the Tik is still like 15 or 20...

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Destiny 2 is lock to 30FPS on consoles. SO basically ANY TV will be good enough since the fresh rate WILL BE 33ms. Doesn't matter how nice of a monitor you get, the image from the PS4 / XBOX only refresh 30 times a second.

How about the input lag? Will that have any major effect?

iamacow

Admirable
Technically bluetooth has some latency which is why pros that play fighting games are wired in. It will shave a few ms off. I found a article a while ago someone comparing input lag. Can't find it now off hand. maybe some googling will turn it up.