Gaming Monitor for PS4 PRO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Hi,

I'm stuck between these two monitors:

LG 27UD69P-W
ASUS MG28UQ

The Asus looks like its better for an overall gaming experience but I really don't like the look of it. The LG has a 5ms response time but I love its style. Combine that with my PS4 PRO (White) and it will look absolutely amazing.

So I guess my main question is: Does the Asus far exceed the LG in terms of a gaming monitor? And would it be stupid just to pick the LG over the Asus because I like the style of it more.

Thanks

Solution
LATENCY:
Input latency on wireless controller is apparently pretty LOW now, but I can't find an actual number.

To be clear, the ENTIRE input delay is defined as "BUTTON PRESS TO PHOTON DETECTION BY EYES" or something like that. If we break this down it is:

(Ignoring Network Latency too as that's hard to calculate, so we'll just assume it's fair to everybody. Network latency is why an MMO like World of Warcraft has "hits" not require precision. No sudden SHIELD RAISE to defend attach at the last split second as it's not feasible.)

1. Time to process on-screen data then PRESS BUTTON
(see then respond)
2. Time to transmit button press
3. Time to decode button press data by CONSOLE
10ms including #2 and #3?)
4. Time to process the new...

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Cool. Thanks for the help. I'll try finding it.

LATENCY:
Input latency on wireless controller is apparently pretty LOW now, but I can't find an actual number.

To be clear, the ENTIRE input delay is defined as "BUTTON PRESS TO PHOTON DETECTION BY EYES" or something like that. If we break this down it is:

(Ignoring Network Latency too as that's hard to calculate, so we'll just assume it's fair to everybody. Network latency is why an MMO like World of Warcraft has "hits" not require precision. No sudden SHIELD RAISE to defend attach at the last split second as it's not feasible.)

1. Time to process on-screen data then PRESS BUTTON
(see then respond)
2. Time to transmit button press
3. Time to decode button press data by CONSOLE
10ms including #2 and #3?)
4. Time to process the new FRAME OF DATA in game
(I believe that's up to 67ms or slightly more depending on VSYNC buffer so if 30FPS.. button press just AFTER a frame transmitted so waits for NEXT frame. forget the details, and that doesn't account for skipped frames which adds even MORE latency... i.e. judder/microstutter)
5. *Time for HDTV to PROCESS the frame of data and display it
(Ideally less than 30ms. Some are over 50ms)

So it all ADDS UP. The extra latency of an HDTV can make the difference between a good experience and a mediocre experience.

Other:
For #1, the time to press a button (to react) for most people at BEST is:

AUDIO CUE - 125ms
VISUAL CUE - 250ms

So I'm guessing the time from when you SEE AN ENEMY to when your local CONSOLE can update the HDTV is at least 300ms.

Now NETWORK is confusing. I'm no expert, but from what I understand slight DIFFERENCES in Network latency may make the difference (everything else being about equal) such that the HDTV with lower input latency gives someone a better chance to RESPOND. He saw it first, he shot first, he didn't die.

So basically two issues with high HDTV input latency:
1. games feel slightly more sluggish (even if single player), and
2. worse performance in competitive games

SUMMARY:
Huh?

That's all just fun to know info. The real takeaway seems to be to get an HDTV with an input latency of less than 30ms. (at least in the "gaming mode" option which minimized video processing in the HDTV that adds latency).

It may be difficult to find that information. Not sure.

Solution

iamacow

Admirable
My Vizo 60" goes from 36ms normal mode to 17 in game mode. Most TVs have it, but beware that usually that means all the extra features like 240hz (which is faked anyways), HDR and or upscaling is turned off. It took me months of reading reviews to find a TV that was big and decent for gaming. If you are sticking with 42/44" than really this will not be a problem.

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Looool yh got it. I never knew it would take that long. But I guess everyone has a visual CUE so we can pretty much take that aside in fps pvp games.

Downhunter

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

I might just do a lot more research and find out which tv is the best. No point splashing money for a crap tv.

Feb 25, 2018

That’s 100% WRONG 99% of games are 60 FPS. Saying you don’t need a gaming monitor to be competitive on PS4 pro is just you being a pc elitist. Tell that to all the pro gamers that play on PS4 they’ll laugh in your face if you think they’ll use a TV.

iamacow

Admirable

I am not wrong....But thats okay, everyone has their options. I've been playing games before you were born probably. I play on the PS4 and PC. unless you are playing on the PC, you can't really be a pro gamer. Thats why all console games have auto aim assist built in lol. Turn it off for once and see how much you suck.

TRENDING THREADS