News Gaming Monitor Market Facing First Ever Downturn Say Market Analysts

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Still don't see strong growth of OLED in the monitor category. They look great, but regular people don't replace their monitors as frequently as they update to new CPUs or GPUs. They represent long-term investments. While burn-in can be mitigated some, the reality of static images in the PC environment is essentially unavoidable. Mini LED is taking a long time to come down in price. It is almost a decade behind OLED.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812

InvalidError

Titan
Properly built LCD monitors have a 10-20 years useful life. It shouldn't surprise anyone that demand for high refresh rate monitors would die down once most people who want one already got one.

I don't have a high refresh rate monitor yet and don't plan to buy one until OLED or better becomes affordable.

Apr 1, 2020
Who can afford a new monitor when you have a garbage world economy combined with record high GPU prices? I'd love to have a 32-36" high refresh rate monitor, but you're talking high three figures easy, and there's the fact that if you don't want curved your selection is greatly limited, and if you actually want to use it as a monitor and not just a gaming screen you can't go OLED...

D

Deleted member 2783327

For so long I've wanted a couple of 4K HDR monitors. A$2000 - A$3000 is just too much to pay.
Lol, I remember buying my first Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2K for $289 in 2018. That same monitor now sells for around A$439.
I wonder if asking sensible prices for monitors would improve sales? Or do people just not need them because everyone has jumped on the laptop/notebook bandwagon and are not using external monitors.

D

Deleted member 14196

I’m still using my 15 year old Samsung 27”. Good enough for me. Seems hardware makers want to put themselves out of business.

dk382

Commendable
Aug 31, 2021
Gaming monitor sales are still extremely strong. Yeah, they aren't as high as they were during the peak of the pandemic boom, but just look at the increase over 2019.

Sep 13, 2022
There's nothing new and exciting to justify replacing what I have. I have two 27" 1440 165hz monitors. I have tried to 49" super Ultrawide and didn't care for it. I might consider upgrading to dual 4K monitors but there aren't many 27" 4K monitors with 165hz and low input lag and if you get close to those specs it's too expensive.

Sep 23, 2022
I agree that monitors tend to be longer term investments. So it doesn’t make sense to buy a gaming-capable monitor now when DisplayPort 2.0 is right around the corner. It looks like 2 of the 3 GPU makers will support DP 2.0 this generation. Monitor makers will no longer have an exuse to cling to 1.4a. This has been crazy, since the standard has been ratified for over 3 years now. Monitor manufacturers have no one to blame but themselves and their own complacency for stagnating sales now.