Gaming monitor VS old LCD monitor

hogan285

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Hi,

I'm building a new gaming computer and I'm wondering if my old Emachines 21" monitor is good enough to give me the best HD experience in new games such as Black Flag and Battlefield 4.

That's it, i'm about to order the whole computer but I'm very not sure about the monitor. Should I get a more modern monitor or my old one will give me about the same experience?

I have made some research about this question but I cannot found any usuable information.

There is the specs of my old LCD Monitor E211H : http://www.amazon.com/eMachines-E211H-bmd-21-5-Inch-Wid...

I have identified this monitor as a replacement, is it a good idea?

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/LS24C300HLZ/ZC

Thank's for your help guys,

EDIT : I forgot to mention, the build is a i5 and the videocard is a GeForce GTX 770. Maybe this can help

Solution
if you're playing FPS's then getting a gaming monitor will help. A benq xl2420te or asus vg248qe would help out a lot, but they aren't going to have the best picture quality. They will have a 144MHz refresh rate and are around $300. the higher refresh rate will help in FPS's

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
if you're playing FPS's then getting a gaming monitor will help. A benq xl2420te or asus vg248qe would help out a lot, but they aren't going to have the best picture quality. They will have a 144MHz refresh rate and are around $300. the higher refresh rate will help in FPS's

Solution

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
it's an ok monitor. It's older and not really a gaming monitor, but ok. are you on a tight budget? For FPS's you're looking for something that has a higher refresh rate than 60MHz...and a response time that's closer to 1ms. Some of the cheaper monitors from China can be overclocked to 120MHz.

V0RTEX

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Hey Hogan285!
Since this question has already been answered I just want to add on to it. A modern monitor is essential for gaming. This is because the newer games are extremely demanding and look amazing. The monitor you suggest is pretty good but it isn't the best. For what you need I would rater suggest you get the Asus vg248qe monitor. It is one of the best monitors on the market right now because of its high refresh rate (144hz) and its extremely small response time (1ms). With these two specs it will make anything you look on it amazing and since you have a nice graphics card I assure you it is worth looking into.

hogan285

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Thank's for your help! But i'm a bit on the cheap side. I understand the 144hz refresh rate but i have read at some places that the 1ms and the 5ms were not so different because the human eyes cannot see the difference.

Any idea for a great monitor at about 200$?

Last question : Is 24" too big for a gaming monitor?

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
both DVI and HDMI are digital video...only difference is HDMI can also transmit 8-bit sound. DVI is only video. A DVI-HDMI converter will not pass through sound from what I understand. You just want to avoid VGA connections.

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Just so you don't fall into the market scam category side of things as far as monitors are concerned. That Samsung you are comparing to your current Emachine 21" monitor is more or less the same exact thing with 5ms response time, 1080 resolution, and both have a digital connection. The only advantage you will get or even notice out of the Samsung is that it uses an LED back light which will provide a better contrast ratio and save you some money on the energy bill. Other than that they are identical to each other. 144Hz is not required for gaming and is more of a luxury, there are many professional/competitive gamers still utilizing 60Hz monitors. Hope this explains more. :)

Suggestion: I know you are on a fixed budget, but if you wanted to upgrade to a new monitor and actually notice an improvement for your cash then you would consider a monitor with an "IPS" panel. These monitors have higher color quality and larger viewing angles without all that tinting. Here is a great affordable option for you if you do not decide to go with the Samsung. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160158