[SOLVED] Gaming monitors that don't have problems are impossible to find

Feb 9, 2021
I have never owned a gaming monitor before and I'm in the market for one. I wanted to get a 240Hz monitor but they don't make em any bigger than 27 inches. The only exception is the odyssey G7 which anywhere you read says the G7 has thousands of problems, from screen tearing to flickering and everything in between. I was looking at 165Hz and 144Hz monitors. I found plenty, but all of them are "VA" monitors, which all have ghosting issues, smudging/smearing. I don't need that when I'm trying to play. Ghosting can be .... well.... somewhat suppressed if you disable gsync. Nope. Not doing that for obvious reasons. Any Non-VA monitors are too small. I have looked everywhere for a monitor that is 144Hz+, is NOT a VA panel, is NOT ultrawide, and is at least 32 inch. I can't find one anywhere. I've been at this for 2 hours now. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Yes, pro level gamers don't care, they just want the refresh rate, and non-pro gamers don't understand why they can't find what they think they need.
It is the common denominator, money.
A large screen that is "pro gamer" feature rich is prohibitively expensive for no gain for the pro and has even been pointed out as detrimental, and again, a waste on someone who thinks they are pro, but aren't.
So the market is too slim.
This is definitely not a case of if you build it they will come. The manufacturers will build whatever sells enough to make it worthwhile, regardless.
Feb 9, 2021
What are the rest of your specs?
Do have the ability to generate 240fps at the resolution you want to use?
Screen tearing, stuttering, and input lag issues are related.
They come from a mismatch between the ability to generate frames and the ability of a monitor to present them.
Here is an older article that explores those issues:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

Do you have a budget?

I want to run 240FPS at 1080p or 165 at 1440. CPU is a ryzen 3900x. 64gb ram. 2080 super. But that's besides the point. Why can't I find a monitor that doesn't have issues? As per original post. Budget is 1000$ CAD

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I assume that you play competitive titles since you are looking for high refresh rate at 1080p, in that case, you will need to go with 24" as any higher size will lower the ppi resulting in a blurry image, you also don't want to go with higher than 27" even at 1440p because when sitting close to the monitor it will be very hard for you to follow what is happening in front of you.

Feb 9, 2021
I assume that you play competitive titles since you are looking for high refresh rate at 1080p, in that case, you will need to go with 24" as any higher size will lower the ppi resulting in a blurry image, you also don't want to go with higher than 27" even at 1440p because when sitting close to the monitor it will be very hard for you to follow what is happening in front of you.

I don't think it's size that matters with resolution. It also depends on how far you sit. 1080p in a 32 inch screen sitting 1 foot away will look no different then 1080p on a 90 inch screen sitting 8 feet away. Im not concerned about PPI. I can adjust my sitting distance to accomodate. Right now I'm just trying to find a screen that's either 1080p240 or 1440p165. Must be IPS, not ultra wide, 32 inch or bigger

I don't think it's size that matters with resolution. It also depends on how far you sit. 1080p in a 32 inch screen sitting 1 foot away will look no different then 1080p on a 90 inch screen sitting 8 feet away. Im not concerned about PPI. I can adjust my sitting distance to accomodate. Right now I'm just trying to find a screen that's either 1080p240 or 1440p165. Must be IPS, not ultra wide, 32 inch or bigger
The problem isnt so much about you being willing to accommodate seating distances and such, but rather manufactures knowing most people wont.

1080p, 16:9, IPS, 240Hz+ https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#P=2&r=192001080&D=240000,360000
None above 27" (which is regarded as the cutoff size)

1440p, 16:9, IPS, 160Hz+ https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#P=2&r=256001440&D=160000,360000
None above 27"

In fact, the highest refresh rate youll see at 1080p or 1440p, at 32"+, without going curved, is 75Hz. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/m...2001080&D=75000,360000&F=812800000,1651000000

You are limiting yourself by your criteria unfortunately. You are searching in a very niche corner of the market.

Feb 9, 2021
The problem isnt so much about you being willing to accommodate seating distances and such, but rather manufactures knowing most people wont.

1080p, 16:9, IPS, 240Hz+ https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#P=2&r=192001080&D=240000,360000
None above 27" (which is regarded as the cutoff size)

1440p, 16:9, IPS, 160Hz+ https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#P=2&r=256001440&D=160000,360000
None above 27"

In fact, the highest refresh rate youll see at 1080p or 1440p, at 32"+, without going curved, is 75Hz. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/m...2001080&D=75000,360000&F=812800000,1651000000

You are limiting yourself by your criteria unfortunately. You are searching in a very niche corner of the market.

This doesn't make any sense. I don't see how there can be a cutoff size, or why one would exist. There are 90 inch TVs you can get that are only 1080p. There are 24 inch 4K displays. It can be anything. The only issue is finding ones with gsync and good refresh rates. You said the highest at 1440p 32" without going curved is 75Hz

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16824475079R

I did find this. I dont mind curved but this is flat. It fits in the scope of what I am looking for. I just don't know if its good or not. Haven't seen to many reviews. I don't know why IPS screens are so heavily limited in size and specs as you say. I dont know why this would be but does this one look good? Thoughts?

Reactions: Krotow
You dont see many reviews because its a thousand dollar monitor, its a waste of money for what it is really.
Sure if thats what you have to have then buy it. Im happy with my 32" 1440p IPS monitor that I paid 200 bucks for.
Its only about what you are willing to pay for any "benefits". Thats not even a brand new product, its open box.
Plus, its not marketed as a gaming monitor, its designed for content creation.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021
You dont see many reviews because its a thousand dollar monitor, its a waste of money for what it is really.
Sure if thats what you have to have then buy it. Im happy with my 32" 1440p IPS monitor that I paid 200 bucks for.
Its only about what you are willing to pay for any "benefits". Thats not even a brand new product, its open box.
Plus, its not marketed as a gaming monitor, its designed for content creation.

Your 32 inch 1440p IPS monitor. What is the refresh rate? Also, I see that is open box, but I'm sure I can find one new. Also, I notice that it is marketed for content creators, my question is .... does that really matter? Honestly? Like.... it's not marketed as a gaming monitor, but the specs fit the bill..... No?

I was answering your question of why its so hard to find a "gaming monitor" with your restrictions, because there arent many and those that are arent targeted at gamers so you wont be seeing many reviews of them.
If you want to buy a monitor purely on specs then there you have it, since thats the only one you can find.

I also never told you my monitor was the one that fits your bill. I was mentioning it as an example that the refresh rate alone added 800 dollars to the price.

Feb 9, 2021
I was answering your question of why its so hard to find a "gaming monitor" with your restrictions, because there arent many and those that are arent targeted at gamers so you wont be seeing many reviews of them.
If you want to buy a monitor purely on specs then there you have it, since thats the only one you can find.

I also never told you my monitor was the one that fits your bill. I was mentioning it as an example that the refresh rate alone added 800 dollars to the price.
Ok. The price is fine. I dont mind paying the extra for a decent refresh rate. I just want to know if whether or not the fact that it is tailored towards content creators is going to affect it being used for gaming.

johnsoner13

Respectable
You dont need such a high refresh rate. You are currently playing on a 55 inch Tv and the lowest youll settle for is a 32 inch? Judging by that youre not even close to a competitive enough level of play in which 240hz will benefit you. Settle for something with realistic standards/a product that makes sense. The reason youre so surprised theres no perfect monitor youre looking for while everyone else is happy with all the options is because you are being unrealistic.

Feb 9, 2021
You dont need such a high refresh rate. You are currently playing on a 55 inch Tv and the lowest youll settle for is a 32 inch? Judging by that youre not even close to a competitive enough level of play in which 240hz will benefit you. Settle for something with realistic standards/a product that makes sense. The reason youre so surprised theres no perfect monitor youre looking for while everyone else is happy with all the options is because you are being unrealistic.

I wanna get 240Hz, but why does the screen have to be so tiny. There exists 85 inch 120Hz TVs. I have seen them. But they aren't gaming displays. Why not 240Hz? Why are gaming monitors so tiny in IPS but not VA? I found plenty of gaming monitors 32 inch and beyond, and they are all VA garbage. I want IPS. 32 inch IPS beyond 120Hz is impossible to find. Why is this? I dont get this. I can find a 65 inch 60Hz Tv for $600USD. But it's impossible to find a 32 inch 240Hz gaming screen. Seriously, what gives?

I wanna get 240Hz, but why does the screen have to be so tiny. There exists 85 inch 120Hz TVs. I have seen them. But they aren't gaming displays. Why not 240Hz? Why are gaming monitors so tiny in IPS but not VA? I found plenty of gaming monitors 32 inch and beyond, and they are all VA garbage. I want IPS. 32 inch IPS beyond 120Hz is impossible to find. Why is this? I dont get this. I can find a 65 inch 60Hz Tv for $600USD. But it's impossible to find a 32 inch 240Hz gaming screen. Seriously, what gives?
Weve said it before, low demand for the products.
People who demand high frame rates dont care about VA vs IPS for the most part, hence the lack of options.

Additionally, most TVs arent true 120Hz these days. Lots of marketing and gimmicks to fool the masses because bigger number better.

If you can't find what you want that is being made, to get it made the option would be to get a job in marketing for one of the monitor companies and write up a business plan as to why they should make one with the specs you want based on predicted market share.

Just asking why you can't find one is not going to do anything if the product you want is not made. Contact the companies that actually make them and find out why. I'm sure the answer will be "we don't see a market to develop and sell them".

VA screens are fine, just not perfect. They make higher refresh rate IPS screens, just smaller than you want them to. There is no perfect screen for everyone. There was someone that was making an argument in an older post that they should make large 3:4 ratio screens for people to have two TVs in their screening room for watching old movies without letterbox bars. It's just not feasible to have a product made for every combination someone thinks of, especially if that market is closer to 50 people than 500,000.

Feb 9, 2021
Weve said it before, low demand for the products.
People who demand high frame rates dont care about VA vs IPS for the most part, hence the lack of options.

Additionally, most TVs arent true 120Hz these days. Lots of marketing and gimmicks to fool the masses because bigger number better.

Yes I know about all the "TruMotion" and "Motion rate" garbage. TV companies have been lying about this crap for years, but why they can get away with it is beyond me. However, I have found some genuine 120Hz TVs, ones that are truly legitimately 120Hz both native to the panel and on the input end, sizes up to 85 inches.

Also, there's probably no demand for the products because the products don't exist. You can't really demand a product that does not exist, but as the old adage goes: If you build it, they will come

Most of my gaming experience in the last 10 years is on a 55 inch display. Now I want 165Hz+ and I can't get it. I don't understand why this is not a thing. Flat screen TVs have been around over20 years. 120Hz is not exactly new either. Im surprised 240Hz TVs don't exist yet. It's a shame really, because now I have to settle for a dinky little screen to get 165Hz and up