Question Gaming motherboards for optiplex 9020?

Feb 13, 2019
So I noticed my motherboard on optiplex 9020 dosnt have 24 pin for my psu, actually my mother board is <<snip>>, it came with the pc and u wanna upgrade it, I just wanna know If I can replace the motherboard from the optiplex 9020 and are there any gaming motherboards that will fit my cabinet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 13, 2019
My educated guess is any Micro-ATX motheboard will fit.

Are you planning to keep the CPU and memory?
Here’s what I Bought that will be arriving soon to install on my optiplex 9020

2070 oc mini zotac
Corsair CX750 bronze psu
DDR3 4X4GB
I know it’s dumb to upgrade an office tv but apparently I live in Afghanistan where I can’t find any gaming pc components, can’t find any components actually, so it will be hard to bring a Pc cabinet or motherboard over the plane !

COLGeek

Cybernaut
See this thread for reference regarding the front panel connectors:

What CPU do you have installed in your Optiplex?

Feb 13, 2019
See this thread for reference regarding the front panel connectors:

What CPU do you have installed in your Optiplex?
Core i5 4950 3.30

Feb 13, 2019
Core i5 4950 3.30
I contacted this store that have an optiplex 990 with i7 2600 that has 24 pin for psu on the mobo, that’s the only reason why I was looking for a motherboard cause I can’t find a 24 to 8 pin adaptor around here, so they want to trade it with my 9020 that has the i5 4950, should I trade it in? Or take the 990 and switch the cpu with 9020? Thank you

"gaming" when applied to a motherboard is just marketing hype.
Possibly a motherboard that supports dual graphics cards might legitimately be described as "gaming"

For you, the real question is if you can fit a discrete graphics card.

1. Can the card you selected physically fit?
If your case is a sff, you will likely have a problem with height.
Compare the dimensions of your new card with the available space.

2. Do you have a x16 pcie slot that a graphics card requires. From what I can see, you are ok there.

3. Is your psu adequate?
Likely not, a psu with a 8 pin cpu connector is non standard and not likely strong enough to do the job.
Here is a chart for the requirements for a variety of graphics cards:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

The RTX2070 for example needs an 8 pin connector found on 500w power supplies.

Since your psu is non standard, you will not be able to use a standard ATX power supply.
However, if a ATX psu will fit, I think you can use a 8 pin adapter like this to make it work:
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Del...24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

Reactions: SexCe
Feb 13, 2019
"gaming" when applied to a motherboard is just marketing hype.
Possibly a motherboard that supports dual graphics cards might legitimately be described as "gaming"

For you, the real question is if you can fit a discrete graphics card.

1. Can the card you selected physically fit?
If your case is a sff, you will likely have a problem with height.
Compare the dimensions of your new card with the available space.

2. Do you have a x16 pcie slot that a graphics card requires. From what I can see, you are ok there.

3. Is your psu adequate?
Likely not, a psu with a 8 pin cpu connector is non standard and not likely strong enough to do the job.
Here is a chart for the requirements for a variety of graphics cards:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

The RTX2070 for example needs an 8 pin connector found on 500w power supplies.

Since your psu is non standard, you will not be able to use a standard ATX power supply.
However, if a ATX psu will fit, I think you can use a 8 pin adapter like this to make it work:
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html
My CX750 Corsair isn’t standard ATX?

Feb 13, 2019
You could keep the 9020 and upgrade the CPU to an i7-4770 for a bit of a boost. That would be a better performer than the i7-2600.

If you can get your hands on one of these, you can use a standard PSU with your existing config:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

Are you certain the memory you purchased is compatible with the Dell?
Yes it’s DDR3, the memories I installed are ddr3 too

If you have a CX750, you are good.
I suppose you are using some sort of a 24 pin to 8 pin cpu adapter cable for the dell.
750w is strong enough and has the requisite connectors for the graphics card.
You no doubt have a pcie x16 graphics slot so all should be good.
No need for a new motherboard.

Feb 13, 2019
If you have a CX750, you are good.
I suppose you are using some sort of a 24 pin to 8 pin cpu adapter cable for the dell.
750w is strong enough and has the requisite connectors for the graphics card.
You no doubt have a pcie x16 graphics slot so all should be good.
No need for a new motherboard.
That’s the problem, I can’t find any adaptors where I live, so I was thinking of getting the 990 which have the 24pin and core i7 2600, I’m gonna replace it with i5 4590 from my 9020 what you think? Does having a 9020 or 990 really make a difference if everything else is the same spec ? Thank you