[SOLVED] Gaming on a 4k monitor. Upscale from 1080p or 1440p ?

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
I'll be receiving my new 32" 4k 60hz monitor. I didn't choose a "gaming" monitor mainly because i prefer color accuracy and i don't want to get used to more than 60fps (my understanding is when you taste 120/144hz, there is no comming back, so i'd rather not taste it at all).

I have a RTX 2070, so i'm aware that there is no way i can play every single game at 4k @60FPS.

So, question: Assuming i can get 60fps in both 1080p and 1440p, which one of these two will give me the best image quality, and the less blur, when upscalled to 4k ? 1080p seems logical since 1 pixel at 1080 should just equal to 2x2 pixels at 4k, but i have a feeling that the details could be better when upscalling from 1440p.

What do you think ?

Solution
Unless the monitor can do the upscaling internally like TV (not sure they can?), you'll be using something like DSR which puts just as much load as running native resolution. Plus 1080p at desktop on a 4k screen would most likely not look desirable.

If monitor can upscale internally then yes 1080p is best to use for the ratio.

Just as a tweaking tip though. If were to run games in 4k, turn off antialiasing. Don't need it to improve image quality on-top of an already crisp picture. There should be better performance as a result.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Unless the monitor can do the upscaling internally like TV (not sure they can?), you'll be using something like DSR which puts just as much load as running native resolution. Plus 1080p at desktop on a 4k screen would most likely not look desirable.

Just as a tweaking tip though. If were to run games in 4k, turn off antialiasing. Don't need it to improve image quality on-top of an already crisp picture. There should be better performance as a result.

Solution

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

It is this monitor, Samsung UR59C: https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/ur59c/

From the specs, i read that it has that: "Samsung UHD upscaling technology includes signal analysis and detail enhancement that seamlessly upconverts SD, HD and Full HD content to near UHD-level picture quality."

Is it what you were talking about when you said something about upscaling internally ?