Question Gaming on a projector

Elite_

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Hey guys;

Please help me with this as I want to be able to play my PC games / watch movies through a projector but my budget is 200$

In my country I found the below 2 projectors and they cost the same so ignore the price on amazon because one of them will be cheaper than the other

1st : https://www.amazon.com/MS527-BenQ-Projector-Replacement-Original/dp/B01A4Y8PSK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=benq+ms527&qid=1565220232&s=gateway&sr=8-4

2nd : https://www.amazon.com/VANKYO-Leisure-Projector-Projection-Carrying/dp/B07G2Y5LX9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=VANKYO+Leisure+510&qid=1565220386&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2Q4ZKR8Y7IUBE

All I care about is a 1080p resolution and 60fps as i got an rtx 2060 in my pc

I know both are 800x600 but I've been looking on YouTube and found the image quality from both looked so nice so I think it upscale the image to 1080p as a maximum resolution for each of these models

Thanks in advance

Jul 24, 2019
If I had to choose between these two, I'd definitely go for BenQ.
Projector from recognizable brand gives you better support, there is a certain degree of quality guaranteed, and there will be some parts available on the market - you don't want to be searching for replacement lamp for the other no-name brand projector.

Elite_

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
If I had to choose between these two, I'd definitely go for BenQ.
Projector from recognizable brand gives you better support, there is a certain degree of quality guaranteed, and there will be some parts available on the market - you don't want to be searching for replacement lamp for the other no-name brand projector.

thanks for response :)

Jul 24, 2019
BTW gaming on a projector is generally not a great scenario

Depends on what you want to play and what's your style.
If you enjoy some relaxing gameplay, some adventure games, racing sims, etc. - then it's no problem. I have PS4 set up with a decent projector and it's a very immersive experience.
For competitive play, lots of FPS games and fast paced games... not the best choice.

Elite_

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Depends on what you want to play and what's your style.
If you enjoy some relaxing gameplay, some adventure games, racing sims, etc. - then it's no problem. I have PS4 set up with a decent projector and it's a very immersive experience.
For competitive play, lots of FPS games and fast paced games... not the best choice.

I agree and btw i won't play competitive games on it , I'll play offline single player games like NFS , assassin's creed , etc.. but I want a good image quality , so do you think up scaling from 800x600 or even lower to 1080p will be good image ?

Jul 24, 2019
To be honest, I'd save up a bit more for native FHD projector, with native 16:9 aspect ratio. Or at least native 1280x1024. On this projector, you may have a better experience gaming in 720p. BenQ generally have decent picture quality and are considered as okay consumer projectors.
But try to find some reviews and see what people say regarding the picture quality. Don't read too much into the expert reviews, as those guys are the projector equivalent of audiophiles and will complain about anything that is not absolutely top quality.
Also, take in consideration throw distance. In most rooms, short throw projectors are better, you can get a nice and big picture in any room.
Projector Central is a good resource, and they also have a nice calculator that will tell you how big a picture you can get from a certain distance - for each projector model.

Elite_

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
To be honest, I'd save up a bit more for native FHD projector, with native 16:9 aspect ratio. Or at least native 1280x1024. On this projector, you may have a better experience gaming in 720p. BenQ generally have decent picture quality and are considered as okay consumer projectors.
But try to find some reviews and see what people say regarding the picture quality. Don't read too much into the expert reviews, as those guys are the projector equivalent of audiophiles and will complain about anything that is not absolutely top quality.
Also, take in consideration throw distance. In most rooms, short throw projectors are better, you can get a nice and big picture in any room.
Projector Central is a good resource, and they also have a nice calculator that will tell you how big a picture you can get from a certain distance - for each projector model.

That's helpful , thanks :)

Jul 24, 2019
Wouldn't touch those with a stick - for proper gaming and watching movies.
It's some weird no name Chinese brand. You'll never get parts for those. And will get no tech support, if anything goes haywire. All those reviews are quite obviously fake. I wouldn't trust a 200€ projector with only 5 star reviews. C'mon. Like they write that sound quality is amazing - but built in speakers in projectors are almost always crap, even in very expensive models.
Description says 5000 lux. But what's that? Proper projectors have the brightness stated in ANSI Lumens.
Stay away from cheap crap like these. Buy only respectable brands that you've heard of before. Look for brands like BenQ or Acer. They have decent cheap projectors. Or try to find some deal for an Optoma projector, they make really good machines.

Elite_

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Wouldn't touch those with a stick - for proper gaming and watching movies.
It's some weird no name Chinese brand. You'll never get parts for those. And will get no tech support, if anything goes haywire. All those reviews are quite obviously fake. I wouldn't trust a 200€ projector with only 5 star reviews. C'mon. Like they write that sound quality is amazing - but built in speakers in projectors are almost always crap, even in very expensive models.
Description says 5000 lux. But what's that? Proper projectors have the brightness stated in ANSI Lumens.
Stay away from cheap crap like these. Buy only respectable brands that you've heard of before. Look for brands like BenQ or Acer. They have decent cheap projectors. Or try to find some deal for an Optoma projector, they make really good machines.

What you say seems valid , by the way I got the BenQ projector that I stated above in the first post and i plugged it into my pc with rtx 2060 , adjusted the windows to 1080p but the projector's menu was crisp but not the windows image as it was blurry to matter how hard i try to adjust the lens

I think it's because it has a native resolution of 640x480 which is crap

Tried to look everywhere is the settings on the projector but didn't find anything to help with that blurry windows image

I found this model in my country and it's a bit more pricey in compare to the other but not by much and it's native is 1024x768