Gaming On a Server Computer?

tylerrex96

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
My school will be selling server computers relatively cheap here within a few months. The only spec I can name from memory is use of an Intel Xeon E5620 and 32gb ram, I can try to check for the rest later. I'll probably get one of them either way, but assuming there's no real GPU included, what kind of gaming potential could be expected? And would it be worth investing in a decent GPU?

ThomasJ93

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
The CPU is still pretty good, but it's hard to say if you can put a good GPU in the server. If it's a 1U server, you'll not be able to.

Then there's also the point that power supplies for servers usually are different from normal power supplies, so you can't just toss one in like you would with a desktop.

Final thing: servers make quite some noise. The fans rotate on high speeds and the hard disks in them aren't silent either.

We had a similar thread here recently. That was an IBM server that didn't accept a GPU at all. The bios simple didn't expect a GPU beside the very weak onboard and didn't initialize it. Beside that a +1 to ThomasJ93. I have a HP DL380 behind me and it is unacceptable loud for anything beside testing a server environment for 30 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS