[SOLVED] Gaming on a USB 3.2 stick?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Hey sorry for the recent spam of questions from me but its never too late to learn yes? so it seems my samsung t5 underperforming even connected with a 3.1 3.2 ports and my motherboard supports these usb ratings, I tried the update the firmware of my t5 ssd external and did not help, I also tried switch to "better performance" from device manager, didn't help either, games just aint loading fast, so there must be something wrong. My mobo is a B450-K with proper new usb support, however some of you mentioned all the parts are matter in speed. My rig is: AMD 5 2600, 16GB DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1650 with plenty of power from PSU. I take it this specs isnt that old yes? so I do want to test with a USB 3.2 this time, see if games are loading fast or not, my question is: USBs are any good for gaming? is it possible at all? I worry about temperatures of that USB, since they are tiny. can they die under heavy load? even if I reduce the in game graphics and reduce the frame rate?

is this a good idea? is it possible at all? Hard drives are slow and cannot buy another external SSD so USB my only option.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
You already have the flash drive?

If so, just try it.
See what happens.

Have a few but not big enough size to put games on it,

Do you ever hear the tragedy of SanDisk Plus? It's a USB legend. SanDisk Plus, a great lord of the USBs, He was so big and so wise, he could even embrace the whole games. Unfortunately, he told his OS sucks, so the OS Windows 10 butchered the USB's original size and reduced to ashes. Ironic, he could embrace the whole big games on its body, but not to save himself from Windows 10's terrible disk management.

-Is it possible to use Windows OS for home purposes?
-Not anymore.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
The ssd is 3.1 gen2 so using usb 3.2 should not change anything unless the 3.1 port is faulty.
Also you should provide a time frame of how long specific games take to load, maybe you can compare to someone that also has an r5-2600.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Online takes like good 1 minute or two, sometimes even longer than that. A Review page of this ssd shows this game should load in 40'ish seconds. I mean I don't get it, even USB 2.0 file transfer takes forever like 8-9 minutes for a mid sized video file. I don't know if I can compare this two.

One thing I'm %100 sure that during ANY file transfer on my Windows 10, copy speed always drops to lowest after a few seconds. I think this have something to do with SATA/AHCI controller from device manager? Its generic drivers.

Computer file transfer and game loading shouldn't be this slow,

USAFRet

Titan
One thing I'm %100 sure that during ANY file transfer on my Windows 10, copy speed always drops to lowest after a few seconds. I think this have something to do with SATA/AHCI controller from device manager? Its generic drivers.
That is dependent on the drives involved, and the type of data.

Some SSD with a small cache space may reduce to HDD speed quite quickly, when the cache is full.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
That is dependent on the drives involved, and the type of data.

Some SSD with a small cache space may reduce to HDD speed quite quickly, when the cache is full.

Also anti virus will slow down file copying if it can't keep up.

Online also depends on your internet and the servers so it's a very bad example.

I own a good connection I can download a 60GB game in 3 hours or so, its ethernet it isnt bad and game online servers shouldnt be this bad either.
I just downloaded BlackMagic Design disk speed test software, tested it on my SSD I mentioned (did choose the target disk before test, it seems easy to miss) results are good? 398MB/s 406MB/s write and read. This SSD connected to a blue coloured USB port and computer nearly 2 years old kinda new.

I also put entire game folder to my paid AVs ignored list and if ı disable my paid AV completely, then that cancerious Windows Defender starts itself, consumes %25 disk usage all the time and literally destroys my computer. so I don't have much choice I think,

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I also did turned off power saving checkboxes from device manager for this SSD under "power management", seems did not help. I reloaded the game from start and loaded while in game scene too, took forever.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
"t5 ssd "
This is a Samsung external thing?

What specific "performance" issue are looking at?
Numbers, please.

Yes

from what I gather: Red Dead Redemption 2 Online game are not even using my SSD or very tiny bit of MB/s during loading. Like 0.2 and max 13, game isnt even using full speed of my ssd, I think that is what causing slow loading in many games but especially this one.

Black Magic Design disk speed test results with this: 398MB/s write 400MB/s read, I did choose my external ssd as target before testing of course.

I will disable all the features of my paid Anti virus (but not %100 disable software) before entering the game and test the load with this way. Someone above me said AV also can cut down the speed of loading and file transfers. I will let you know the results