Question Gaming on iGPU or dGPU?

Aug 19, 2022
My laptop is IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ARH7 (6800HS/RTX 3050 Laptop GPU).

I have played few games on this machine, Assassin's Creed: Revelations in particular. As AC Revelations is not so demanding, 6800HS's iGPU can easily handle the game at maxed out graphics.

What worries me is that the temperature of both CPU and iGPU can rise up to 72 Celsious if I play on iGPU (I use HWiNFO64). RTX 3050 on the other hand, is much cooler than the iGPU method which CPU and dGPU temperature just floating around 60 - 65 Celsious.

I'm not sure what graphics option should I use, the iGPU may cause more heating issues but the dGPU seems too overpowered for such light game in my opinion.

My laptop is IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ARH7 (6800HS/RTX 3050 Laptop GPU).

I have played few games on this machine, Assassin's Creed: Revelations in particular. As AC Revelations is not so demanding, 6800HS's iGPU can easily handle the game at maxed out graphics.

What worries me is that the temperature of both CPU and iGPU can rise up to 72 Celsious if I play on iGPU (I use HWiNFO64). RTX 3050 on the other hand, is much cooler than the iGPU method which CPU and dGPU temperature just floating around 60 - 65 Celsious.

I'm not sure what graphics option should I use, the iGPU may cause more heating issues but the dGPU seems too overpowered for such light game in my opinion.

Hey there,

Well, if you are like me, then I'd want the CPU at max, and the dGPU running for full effects. Yes, it might be overpowered for some games, but then others, you would want the performance, so the dGPU is always better for gaming. It's better to have the performance there if you need than not. Specially with laptops.

The reason the temps are loer for the CPU/dGPU combo, is that the CPU will run hotter with iGPU enabled. There s a fan located close to the dGPU, this will give more cooling than the CPU/iGPU. Hence when split, the temps on average are lower overall. Very normal behaviour.

Anything below 85C poses little/no danger. On laptops, it's not uncommon to see 90C and/or thermal throttling.

I'd go with the dGPU for any/all games.
  • mobile CPUs have bust/sustained power limits. Pretty sure the iGP is lumped into that budget. I could be wrong
  • the dGPU is thermally separated from the iGP (the CPU and dGPU are separate chips), allowing the cooling system to soak heat from both chips instead of all the thermal load coming from the CPU
  • You may be able to downclock or limit the frequency of the dGPU to save power/heat/noise