Question Gaming online feels less responsive and accurate than it should (offline is fine)

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, ive posted here before about this issue however it never really got fixed.

The explanation to the problem im having is hard to describe, but ill try.
When im in a offline gamemode such as training or practise range the game feels perfectly fine and smooth like it should. However when i enter a online game it starts to feel alot less responsive and accurate with aiming (it might affect the movement input aswell but im not sure).
My fps remain the same almost consinstantly while differing between online and offline (200fps) it might drop to max 190fps.

My specs are:

RTX 2060 6GB

I7 8700

16gb ballistic 3200mhz ddr4 cl16 ram (recently bought)

Asus prime z390a (recently bougtht)

The problem is incredibly odd. Ive checked my entire network equipment and replaced everything with new equipment.
Ive run several DDUs without any luck.

However it gets even weirder when it differs between games.
Between overwatch and valorant it feels incredibly sluggish like i explained above but on example warzone it feels quite decent, not nearly as bad as the other games.

And even so the problem has just been different all the time. There used to be a gamemode in Overwatch where you were playing in a 12 person ffa arena, inside that gamemode (which obviously was online) it felt amazing but as soon as i entered a quickplay, comp or even a 3v3 it just felt bad again. It never feels like a stable input. However if i enter the same gamemode now it sometimes can feel good but sometimes it doesnt. Im going crazy about this...

Im incredibly annoyed at this problem hence why im desperate to find a person helping me find the solution.
Ive been trying to fix this problem for a year now. (The pc has been like this since the beginning hence why i bought new specs to eliminate solutions).

Ive checked taskmanager several times while playing but there isnt any massive problem there.
I also close down everything except for discord, the game im playing and a few softwares such as steam and razer synapse.

One last note about this. For some reason turning off xbox live applications completely (by inactivating them through services) seemed to help a little but like i said didnt solve anything.

Last edited:

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
When you replaced the motherboard, did you perform a full, clean install of Windows? Or, are you using a previous installation of Windows on new hardware?
I didnt do a fresh and full reinstall. I simply just activated windows and moved on. (I changed the motherboard in hopes of fixing this :()

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
This could actually be part of the problem. I would suggest a fresh, full clean install of Windows. Also, use the most current drivers for your devices.

Then assess gaming performance.
Hm, I suppose i can try that however i brough up the example to my friends and my dad and they all said that it doesnt make a difference with reinstalling windows with a new motherboard installed. confused i am yes

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hm, I suppose i can try that however i brough up the example to my friends and my dad and they all said that it doesnt make a difference with reinstalling windows with a new motherboard installed. confused i am yes
Sorry, but they are wrong. While Windows may work when "recycled", optimal performance comes when the OS is configured directly for the targeted hardware.

Up to you how to proceed. You can start from a solid baseline or you can chase past configurations that may be impacting your performance.

Good luck.

Reactions: dudio

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Sorry, but they are wrong. While Windows may work when "recycled", optimal performance comes when the OS is configured directly for the targeted hardware.

Up to you how to proceed. You can start from a solid baseline or you can chase past configurations that may be impacting your performance.

Good luck.
What do you exacly mean?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can perform a full, clean install of Windows, update your drivers, and start troubleshooting from a solid baseline.

-Or-

You can try to run down a near infinite number of possibilities from previous/different hardware configurations retained in Windows from old/replaced hardware.

The first option is often less time consuming and frustrating.

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
You can perform a full, clean install of Windows, update your drivers, and start troubleshooting from a solid baseline.

-Or-

You can try to run down a near infinite number of possibilities from previous/different hardware configurations retained in Windows from old/replaced hardware.

Yeah i see completely whatcha mean. Ive done so many things in order to hopefully fixing this without any luck so i suppose its worth a shot. Ima reinstall any sec and ill letcha know when its installed etc

EDIT:
Ive now reinstalled the hole system. I also saw that ive been using a very old BIOS driver so glad i got my newest one installed. Ill reply more when ive tested a few games

Last edited:

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019

-Or-

Ive now done it and tried a few games. I wanna start by saying that the games feel a little better, it feels more polished now however i feel like the problem still remain. Any thoughts?

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Did you install these Asus apps when you reinstalled your network drivers, or only install the Intel network drivers?
ASUS Turbo LAN Utility
ASUS LAN Guard
Um i think i didnt install those. I went to ASUS prime z390a support site and downloaded a few drivers such as LAN, CHIPSET,SATA and i think FIRMWARE aswell

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
The drivers on the Asus site are not always the most recent available. You can go to Intel and get the latest drivers (if any) from here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Also, what are your ISP provided network speeds (upstream and downstream)?
Well i just downloaded it and it told me that there were no new updates for any driver.
But what was those ASUS LAN GUARD and ASUS turbo lan thingy?
Im guessing you are asking about download and upload speeed (95mbit on both and 6ms response time.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Personally, you shouldn't require either application. Just trying to determine what might be causing the performance issues when gaming on-line.

Are you running any streaming or recording/capture apps when gaming on-line?

Are you using 1x16GB or 2x8GB memory?

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Personally, you shouldn't require either application. Just trying to determine what might be causing the performance issues when gaming on-line.

Are you running any streaming or recording/capture apps when gaming on-line?

Are you using 1x16GB or 2x8GB memory?
Alright, Um no not really, i dont have nvidia experience which eliminates shadowplay and ive turnt off gamemode.

My ram is 2x 8gb and they are newly bought

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Alright, Um no not really, i dont have nvidia experience which eliminates shadowplay and ive turnt off gamemode.

My ram is 2x 8gb and they are newly bought
Good on the memory, dual channel mode is better for performance.

Are you using a SSD or HDD for Windows and games? What storage devices are you using?

What is your CPU and GPU utilization rates when gaming (typically)?

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Good on the memory, dual channel mode is better for performance.

Are you using a SSD or HDD for Windows and games? What storage devices are you using?

What is your CPU and GPU utilization rates when gaming (typically)?
I have a samsung QVO 1tb SSD for all my games and windows since its the only storage device i have.
Wdym with CPU and GPU utilization?

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Yes. Also, some games have built-in resource use indicators.
Um so i did some tests on valorant. While online i seemed to keep a stable 3-5ms on CPU game time mostly 4ms.
And then on CPU render time i was between 1-2.5ms
On CPU (RHI) i had 1-2ms
Network trip time was 34-35ms

While in offline (practise range) i had: 2.5-4ms in CPU Game time.
Cpu render was 1.9-(barely 3)ms
Cpu RHI was around 1.5 mostly and rarely reached 2ms.
network trip time was 14-16ms (obviously its alot lower due to no online gameplay going on=

Does these show anything? Since i sadly couldnt use task manager due to me having only 1 monitor so when i tabbed out it didnt show correct stats.
This test was on valorant and i could try other games if that watcha want.
I honestly just want to solve this thing.