[SOLVED] Gaming pc bottlenecked. What should i upgrade first?

Nov 24, 2020
Hi, I recently bought a rtx 3070 for my gaming pc. I know its no ideal for my setup since its being bottlenecked, I just found one and didn't want to miss the opportunity to get it. My current build is a ryzen 5 2600, rtx 3070 KO from asus, asus b450-F gaming motherboard, 16 gb of 3600 ram ddr4, 450W power supply. I know my power supply isn't the best for my build. I am getting a 700w power supply soon but wanted to know what would be best upgrading first to cancel the bottle neck? My motherboard is pcie 3.0 and the card I got required a 4.0 slot. Motherboard or cpu? And will changing my power supply welp performance at all?

Solution
First of all, I think you should take out the 3070 as soon as possible. having a such power consuming gpu won't give u the best performance, in some cases may damage the psu for overloading if the psu doesn't have a shutdown mechanism for overheating, in rare cases even catch on fire and ruin other components. I think firstly get the PSU and afterwards get a new CPU, considering there's no much FPS/ Performance difference when it comes to PCIe 3/4, just the bandwidth. CPU upgrade can boost u up to even 40-50 FPS in some games (e.g. Fortnite)
I'm in the same situation as you, I just got a 3070 and I have 16GB RAM, Ryzen 5 2600 and an Asus Prime B450M-A which is also a PCIe 3.0. I didn't plug in the GPU yet, waiting for my Thermaltake...
Nov 24, 2020
I was planning on getting a Thermaltake smart 700w power supply. And I know I got a bottle neck since in a title like gta 5 I still drop at 50 or 45 FPS at 1440p gaming which should not happen with this card. Pretty sure its the cpu.

DSzymborski

Titan
I was planning on getting a Thermaltake smart 700w power supply. And I know I got a bottle neck since in a title like gta 5 I still drop at 50 or 45 FPS at 1440p gaming which should not happen with this card. Pretty sure its the cpu.

There are very few quality PSUs at 700W (most are at 650W or 750W). This is not an exception; the Smart series is power supplies that range from mediocre to poor. This is not a good option.

Poor performance and a bottleneck are not the same thing at all. It's likely something else is going on. Yes, you should have more performance at GTA V at 1440p with this GPU, but you should with this CPU as well. What are the results when you change quality settings? What about other games? Have you run any benchmarks?

Nov 24, 2020
So far since I just got it I tested only 2 games. Minecraft and gta 5. I see a decent change in Minecraft since I'm using a shaders pack going from roughly 35-45 fps up to 70 fps. Gta for some odd reason doesn't see much change with same settings as before at 1440p. I installed new drivers and windows update as well and nothing changed.

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
First of all, I think you should take out the 3070 as soon as possible. having a such power consuming gpu won't give u the best performance, in some cases may damage the psu for overloading if the psu doesn't have a shutdown mechanism for overheating, in rare cases even catch on fire and ruin other components. I think firstly get the PSU and afterwards get a new CPU, considering there's no much FPS/ Performance difference when it comes to PCIe 3/4, just the bandwidth. CPU upgrade can boost u up to even 40-50 FPS in some games (e.g. Fortnite)
I'm in the same situation as you, I just got a 3070 and I have 16GB RAM, Ryzen 5 2600 and an Asus Prime B450M-A which is also a PCIe 3.0. I didn't plug in the GPU yet, waiting for my Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 non-RGB (which I think will be the perfect option for you) considering it's not as pricey ($100 ish) and delivers a great performance with 80+ Gold certification. here's a link to the PSU, hope this helps: https://www.newegg.com/global/il-en...on-ps-tpd-0750fnfaga-1-750w/p/N82E16817153397

Solution