Question Gaming PC Budget

Oct 13, 2020
Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what budget and spec I would be looking at to get a decent ish gaming tower for my son to play Fortnite on?

I would like to build it myself but the last PC I built was an AMD 3850 Sempron nearly 5 years so I'm a bit behind with the times :)

Welcome to Toms Hardware @Marcel-2.1!

A low-end 'gaming pc' is usually between $400-500, and that would be the minimum I would spend on a gaming computer. On a decent computer which can run every game at acceptable settings, 1080p at 60fps, I would say around $600/700. Of course you don't need to spend that much on a computer, and fortnite can run on some worser machines, however if I was you I would look into buying a computer around $500 if it is possible, as you'll get the most out of games and fortnite. Of course, this is up to interpretation and I may be completely foolish for thinking this, but it is in my opinion. Hope this helps

Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what budget and spec I would be looking at to get a decent ish gaming tower for my son to play Fortnite on?

I would like to build it myself but the last PC I built was an AMD 3850 Sempron nearly 5 years so I'm a bit behind with the times :)

Hi @Marcel-2.1

$500 would be a good starting point. Depending on the hardware it could be a little less or a lot more. Have you played around on PCPartsPicker ? It doesn't matter if you aren't sure what goes with what as each part you pick will only list parts that are compatible.

Here are the min/max suggested requirements for Fortnite. Does your son know anything about building a PC? Does he want bragging rights (newest hardware/flashy RGB's that sorta thing) or does he just want to play? Might be fun to build it together?

Oct 13, 2020
Thanks for the replies :)

£500 is a good start, obviously if there's a good deal to be had I'd push it up a bit,
Hadn't seen PcPartsPicker before but it looks like a great tool, one thing I'm a bit stuck on is choosing between AMD and Intel, I've only had AMD before and they've been fine for computing and light gaming, but wonder if Intel's are better value these days?

I thought he may want flashy lights but oddly he came out with if he's using the computer he will be looking at the screen not the tower so won't see them haha there's a white tower he likes but it comes with led fans so will switch them out I guess,

That's a great idea, told him we'd strip the old one down and give it a clean, new paste etc then give it away after but putting the new one together will be way more fun :)

Provide a list of the make/model of your current parts.
Perhaps there are things that can be reused.
Gaming performance is determined by the processor and the graphics card.
A good rule of thumb is to budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
500$ is a great starting point if you already have monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers+mic/headphones. but if you need all that youre gonna wanna bump your budget up a little bit.

b450 mobo - 100$
ryzen 3 3300x - 100$
gtx 1660super - 200$
450w psu - 75$
16 gb ram - 75$

this is 550$ and you still need a harddrive, case, monitor, mouse, keyboard etc.

Oct 13, 2020
Current parts, the parts from the old pc are fairly old, there is a 1tb toshiba hard drive which has been used only as a slave for music so would assume it's good to use as a slave in the new machine, though once its up and running I don't mind upgrading that or adding extra memory in,

I don't suppose there is anyway we could use his TV as a monitor for now? as that's fairly new,

The motherboard will need to fit a micro atx case, (I didn't realise till after I placed the order) there are a few different brand b450 boards, are there any brands you would recommend?

Thanks for the replies :)

TRENDING THREADS