Mar 8, 2023
Hello,
My old computer is getting old, so I decided to buy a new one.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with choosing the right components and would need the best advice.
The PC should be mainly used to play more demanding games - (Cyberpunk, RDR2, Kingdom come) at least on medium details with 60+ FPS.
I will be glad for opinions, what to tweak, what to change.

• Price should be around 1 340 to 1 570 dollars
  • I play in Full HD

1. Fera 5 Dual Fan
  2. Graphics card - Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 6800 XT SE
  3. Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING - AMD B550 or ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS - AMD B650
  4. Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
  5. Computer memory - Kingston Fury Renegade Black 32GB
  6. Power supply- ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR 850W
  7. Case - DEEPCOOL CG560
  8. SSD- Kingston SSD KC3000
What do you think? Especially for the processor and graphics.

Thank you all in advance for the replies :)

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

The graphics card you have selected is overkill for 1080/60 gaming. You could choose something lesser and allocate those funds elsewhere.

If I were going to purchase AMD right this moment, and considering your budget, go with 7xxx instead of 5xxx. AMD has hinted that support for AM5 is going to go long like they did with AM4. This will leave you with a great upgrade path down the road.

I would probably consider a Crucial or (other) SSD than Kingston.

I don't know if the AM5 platform has issues with being picky about RAM, but may suggest to choose a motherboard and then take a look at the QVL to get sticks known to be compatible.

Hello,
My old computer is getting old, so I decided to buy a new one.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with choosing the right components and would need the best advice.
The PC should be mainly used to play more demanding games - (Cyberpunk, RDR2, Kingdom come) at least on medium details with 60+ FPS.
I will be glad for opinions, what to tweak, what to change.

• Price should be around 1 340 to 1 570 dollars
  • I play in Full HD

1. Fera 5 Dual Fan
  2. Graphics card - Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 6800 XT SE
  3. Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING - AMD B550 or ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS - AMD B650
  4. Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
  5. Computer memory - Kingston Fury Renegade Black 32GB
  6. Power supply- ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR
  7. Case - DEEPCOOL CG560
  8. SSD- Kingston SSD KC3000
What do you think? Especially for the processor and graphics.

Thank you all in advance for the replies :)
What country are you located? The reason I ask is because every European country has different VAT and different prices and looking at your choice of cpu cooker I'm guessing you are located in Europe.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd go with a Crucial drive as well, nothing good ever did happen with Kingston's apart from feeding reviewers with cherry picked units for favorable reviews.

Power supply- ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR
You forgot to mention the wattage for the unit. Please add that.

Mar 8, 2023

The graphics card you have selected is overkill for 1080/60 gaming. You could choose something lesser and allocate those funds elsewhere.

If I were going to purchase AMD right this moment, and considering your budget, go with 7xxx instead of 5xxx. AMD has hinted that support for AM5 is going to go long like they did with AM4. This will leave you with a great upgrade path down the road.

I would probably consider a Crucial or (other) SSD than Kingston.

I don't know if the AM5 platform has issues with being picky about RAM, but may suggest to choose a motherboard and then take a look at the QVL to get sticks known to be compatible.

Thanks for the advice, yes I was thinking of putting in a weaker 6800 without XT "Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 6800" or ASRock Radeon RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D 16G" which is cheaper. Or the even weaker and cheaper "MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 3X 8GD6X OC" . And that I'll add more money to the processor.
But I've read somewhere that 5 5600 is plenty enough for gaming. Or does that Ryzen 7 balance out the performance of that weaker card?

Mar 8, 2023
I'd go with a Crucial drive as well, nothing good ever did happen with Kingston's apart from feeding reviewers with cherry picked units for favorable reviews.

Power supply- ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR
You forgot to mention the wattage for the unit. Please add that.

This is the first I've heard of this, I'll check it out! Yeah, sorry, already edited

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Thanks for the advice, yes I was thinking of putting in a weaker 6800 without XT "Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 6800" or ASRock Radeon RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D 16G" which is cheaper. Or the even weaker and cheaper "MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 3X 8GD6X OC" . And that I'll add more money to the processor.
But I've read somewhere that 5 5600 is plenty enough for gaming. Or does that Ryzen 7 balance out the performance of that weaker card?

Don't want you to interpret the comments as a 5600 being an unworthy processor, but it is a dead end part. The only upgrade path you will have in years forward would be the 5xxx R7 or R9. If you go with the 7xxx build now, even if you have to make compromises for the CPU (choose a GOOD motherboard) at this point, you will have other options available to you later if AMD follows that same course.

For instance, if Ryzen 8000 or 9000 (etc.) are to be supported on AM5 you should have that path available to you just as folks that went in on 1xxx Ryzen can (mostly) update all the way into 5xxx.

Reactions: Deibiddo_
Just to make sure you understand AMD CPUs and chipsets, you asked about B550 and B650 boards then said you want the 5600. The 5000 series uses the older AM4 socket and run on the B550 chipset (or older with BIOS update etc.) and use DDR4 RAM. The B650 boards have the new AM5 socket for the 7000 series CPUs and require DDR5 RAM....you can't use any 5000 series CPUs with it.

As for the Ryzen 5 5600 being good enough for any game, yes and no, it all depends on how powerful graphics card you pair it with...for it's price it's still amazing, but it doesn't come close the the newer 7000 series CPUs.

logainofhades

Titan

I would choose the RX 6800, at the very minimum. Games are becoming vram hungry, and a little overkill now, means longer till you need to upgrade again. Also would recommend at least a Ryzen 5700x. The savings of choosing the non XT, over the XT variant is enough to step up to a 5700x.

Mar 8, 2023
Just to make sure you understand AMD CPUs and chipsets, you asked about B550 and B650 boards then said you want the 5600. The 5000 series uses the older AM4 socket and run on the B550 chipset (or older with BIOS update etc.) and use DDR4 RAM. The B650 boards have the new AM5 socket for the 7000 series CPUs and require DDR5 RAM....you can't use any 5000 series CPUs with it.

As for the Ryzen 5 5600 being good enough for any game, yes and no, it all depends on how powerful graphics card you pair it with...for it's price it's still amazing, but it doesn't come close the the newer 7000 series CPUs.

Okay, I get it. Thanks for clarifying

I see posters recommending AM5 on here but the prices and or availability of DDR5 might be out of the OP's budget due to the pricing on DDR5 in some European countries ... which we don't know the OP's country so it's all just a guess for now.

Mar 8, 2023
I would choose the RX 6800, at the very minimum. Games are becoming vram hungry, and a little overkill now, means longer till you need to upgrade again. Also would recommend at least a Ryzen 5700x. The savings of choosing the non XT, over the XT variant is enough to step up to a 5700x.

Thanks!
What about
Crucial 32GB DDR5 4800 CL40 or Kingston Fury beast RGB 32GB, but I've learned that Cruicial is better quality
ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS - AMD B650
AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Radeon RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D 16G

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I see posters recommending AM5 on here but the prices and or availability of DDR5 might be out of the OP's budget due to the pricing on DDR5 in some European countries ... which we don't know the OP's country so it's all just a guess for now.

I don't disagree with you in this, but it would be far easier to go AM5 now, even if it meant going with a lesser CPU and/or RAM than it would be for a year or so from now to decide the system needs an update and back to needing CPU/Mobo/RAM all over again. This also touches on why I suggest going with a decent motherboard now. It is the easiest way to set yourself up for a desirable condition for upgrade.

logainofhades

Titan
Thanks!
What about
Crucial 32GB DDR5 4800 CL40 or Kingston Fury beast RGB 32GB, but I've learned that Cruicial is better quality
AMD Ryzen 5 7600

4800 is too slow. You want DDR5 5600 CL28 or DDR5 6000 CL30, for AM5. One of these would work, and is EXPO ram made for AM5. One is RGB and one lacks it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($147.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $287.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-08 15:53 EST-0500

I don't disagree with you in this, but it would be far easier to go AM5 now, even if it meant going with a lesser CPU and/or RAM than it would be for a year or so from now to decide the system needs an update and back to needing CPU/Mobo/RAM all over again. This also touches on why I suggest going with a decent motherboard now. It is the easiest way to set yourself up for a desirable condition for upgrade.
It would be far easier if we knew the country and budget of the OP. Europeans do this all the time on here. They post a budget in US dollars and the thread goes umpteen post before they spit out their location.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023

Yea, It's a bit more expensive, (about $65 more than the AM4 I wrote and $44 more for the DDR5) but it's a better investment in the future right?

Thanks!
What about
AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Don't use that RAM with Ryzen, it's just too slow and really hurts performance. You would be better off with 16GB of faster RAM than 32 of slow. You want at least 5600 CL36. Reviewers have shown 6000 CL 30 is the sweet spot for performance, but it's expensive.

Yea, It's a bit more expensive, (about $65 more than the AM4 I wrote) but it's a better investment in the future right?
Which one of these countries do you reside in and what is your maximum budget?

fa1f6798bd4f9d4904e08dc0cd1c231f.gif