Gaming pc build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewz_21

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
I'm struggling to keep under my budget and have a good gpu. Can someone please design a gaming and working pc for me with a gtx 1070, 16gb ram, motherboard with wifi, cd drive, windows 10, and 120 ssd and 1 tb hdd? I would also like to overclock a little and i heard a good gpu is better than a good cpu. Is it true and do i really need a gtx 1070?

Solution
It all depends on resolution. At 1080p- RX570/580/1060 6GB is enough. At 1440p- they can still play with adjusted settings, but GTX1070 makes sense if you want best settings, or at least 3 years of good speed.
Buying a good CPU is important if you want it to last 5-6 years- GPUs age faster, and good powerful processor can outlast a few GPUs. Right now, best bang for the buck is R5 1600, it is overclockable with B350 chipset as well.

neblogai

Distinguished
It all depends on resolution. At 1080p- RX570/580/1060 6GB is enough. At 1440p- they can still play with adjusted settings, but GTX1070 makes sense if you want best settings, or at least 3 years of good speed.
Buying a good CPU is important if you want it to last 5-6 years- GPUs age faster, and good powerful processor can outlast a few GPUs. Right now, best bang for the buck is R5 1600, it is overclockable with B350 chipset as well.

Solution

Andrewz_21

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

Can you please tell me the difference between i7-7700k and the R5 you were talking about?

neblogai

Distinguished
There are a lot of differences.
Price difference: R5 1600 build will be ~$120-$150 cheaper.
Performance difference: i7 can run faster fps if graphic card is extremely fast, or resolution is very low. Fast cores ensure games like CSGO run at best fps. R5 can run games well, especially if resolution is high, and do extra tasks at the same time. Extra cores ensure games like Battlefield1 in multiplayer can run very well.
Both can be overclocked by ~10-15%, R5 comes with a box cooler that can do that.
R5 is faster in productivity if you care, and should be about as fast in streaming.
R5 is on a new AM4 platform, so motherboards will get new processors for a few more years. i7 is on a platform that will change this/next year.
In the very long run- their performance in games should equalize, but for a while i7 is faster and costlier platform for games, although everyone is reporting game feel on R5 about as good, if not smoother. General wise choice would be to save money and get R5 1600, and put whatever is left into GPU and monitor.

Andrewz_21

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

Sorry but I wasn't quite sure which product to buy on amazon, can you please link me the one with cooler? there's an 1600x and a 1600. Any difference? Also is i7-7700k better than the R7 1700?

neblogai

Distinguished
I was talking about this product: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Cooler-YD1600BBAEBOX/dp/B06XNRQHG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492773687&sr=8-1&keywords=r5+1600
The R5 1600X is a processor with same number of cores, but is set to work at higher clocks, costs $30 more, and comes without a cooler (so, add $30+ more) . If you just buy a R5 1600 non-x, and overclock it yourself on provided cooler, you will get basically the same performance without paying for it- that is why everyone is recommending R5 1600.
Processors more expensive than these are not really worth it for a midrange gaming system, as game performance ends up limited by graphics card. CPUs generally just has to be at least average in core speed, and have enough cores/threads for current and future games. 6c/12t on R5 1600 is all that is needed, and with a good core/thread reserve for future. Lesser processors, like i5, or R5 1500X, are either slower, or are at their very limit already, while costing about the same.
As for i7 7700K and R7 1700- they are both good, but not worth the extra $100+ cost, except special scenarios (professional gaming on i7, doing rendering, not just gaming on R7 1700). Midrange system will be better balanced, and faster, if that cost is put into graphics card or monitor.
In the original message you were asking for PC builds- I could offer builds and good advice, but I would need to know approximate budget to aim for, including the monitor; as well as country (and shop if you have clear preference).

Status
Not open for further replies.