[SOLVED] Gaming PC Built under $700

Xovation

Honorable
Feb 11, 2015
I am looking to build a decent gaming PC (I really don't play game a lot but I do photo editing too). My main concerns when building:
  • Budget up to $700 (without monitor, mouse, keyboard).
  • Case: I live in a dusty environment and warm too. The less openings in the case the better (temperature in my room could get up 30 degrees Celsius or around 85 Fahrenheit), but I could somewhat control heat, but can’t with dust. So dust is more of an issue (REAL issue) (may be use a case that allows installing filters? or use water-cooling, or ?
  • I will only use INTEL (old mentality), so please don’t recommend AMD (unless you’re willing to convince a 50yrs who’s witnessed the not so good beginning of AMD). (In fact the dust issue and Intel issue, are main the reasons I am troubling you with my question. Most recommended builts available (which are great) don't deal with dust, and only recommend AMD for my budget)
  • I might sacrifice upgradable things (slightly) for better MOBO and CPUs to stay on budget but get better MOBO and CPU.
  • I already have two-year-old (Samsung SSDs as listed below), if they will not have an impact on performance, I could re-use them and use the money elsewhere. Unless technology has really advanced since then in SSDs.
  • I am building a PC for the next 5 yrs at least…so keep that in mind (I am writing this on 5yrs old PC).
  • If really a must...budgest is $100 + or - (specially if the extra money can deal with dust issue).
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I really can't believe someone will actually read all this and help. You guys are angels!

My current rig FYI:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K -
GPU: Nvidia GTX 750-Ti -
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB -
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB -
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 C10 2x4GB -
MBD: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER -

Last edited:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card ($238.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $796.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-14 14:19 EDT-0400

Reactions: Xovation
Solution

Xovation

Honorable
Feb 11, 2015
Dear Flayed, thaks alot. Great recommendation. My only concern here is the case. It seems a normal case, no dust protection or ability to add filters for air-intake. Any thoughts?

Also, will the crucial 1TB make any difference? Can't I use current storage as mentioned in my post or will this actually make a real difference in performance?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Why not first upgrade the gpu and see how that goes? The 4790K is still a pretty decent performer.And maybe you can still overclock it or at least set all cores to maximum boost. Need a good cooler for that. Adding 8gb of ram would be nice (make sure it's the same as you have,adding ram can give problems),or better get a matching 16gb set and sell what you have.

If you really want to upgrade all look at the Ryzen 3600 or the Ryzen 1600AF if budget is limiting.

Well missed the part of being stuck at Intel,but for cpu's nowadays is there absolutely no reason for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archaic59
Just need to make sure you have more airflow going into your case than going out so you have positive air pressure. This means air will be forced out of any ventilation in the case so dust won't get in. If all the intake fans are covered by dust filters then you should have a dust free PC.

So 2 intake and one exhaust or for a larger case 3 intake and 2 exhaust