Question Gaming PC cant handle games?

Jul 10, 2020
Hello everyone

I don't know much about hardware and that's why I'm here for help :).

I play games like Valorant/Overwatch/Heroes of the Storm and can only run them on low settings to reach 130-170fps..
Like Overwatch is a harder game but Valorant & HoTS are easy games to run I think?
Sometimes I can reach really good FPS on Valorant and the other games, but thats just when i'm lucky (1 of 10 times i start my pc and he maintains it for 1hour or something).

My friend who has a computer who is a little bit like mine has 300-450fps average on low settings on Valorant and has +-250 on high.

My setup is:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core i9 9900KF CPU
2047MB Nvidia GeForxe RTX260
16 GB RAM
ASUSTek Computer inc. Prime Z390-P
27GN7 (1920x1080) 240hz monitor & LG IPS FULLHD (1920x1080) 60hz
1TB memory

I guess I should be able to play games on high settings with good fps or am I just stupid? :D

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this, it really bothers me...

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/30457540 if this helps..

Thanks in advance

Gauthier

Last edited:
A couple of problems on those user benchmark results.

1) The cpu is not boosting. What is the temperature when running the benchmark?

2) Single channel slow RAM. It’s not running at the correct speed 2133 instead of 2400 but 2400 is still really slow. Single channel really is the bigger problem.

Jul 10, 2020
A couple of problems on those user benchmark results.

1) The cpu is not boosting. What is the temperature when running the benchmark?

2) Single channel slow RAM. It’s not running at the correct speed 2133 instead of 2400 but 2400 is still really slow. Single channel really is the bigger problem.

Hello

The temperature while running the benchmark starts at 43 goes to 51 once and jumps back to 47 all the time.

And what do you mean with your 2) ?
Is it something I can update/fix/... ?

You think my build is good enough for gaming with high fps?

Thank you already for your fast reply!

If you wanted 16GB RAM you should have gone with 2x8gb of 3000-3600mhz. Running a single stick/DIMM means it runs in single channel I N stead of dual channel. This can have a significant impact on gaming performance. Also 3000-3600 is the sweet spot, slower RAM also has an impact on performance.

Jul 10, 2020
If you wanted 16GB RAM you should have gone with 2x8gb of 3000-3600mhz. Running a single stick/DIMM means it runs in single channel I N stead of dual channel. This can have a significant impact on gaming performance. Also 3000-3600 is the sweet spot, slower RAM also has an impact on performance.

So, I should change that 16GB RAM to 2x 8GB and see what happens?
If it improves or not?

Jul 10, 2020
It’s definitely not helping but we don’t know why the cpu isn’t boosting. I have a feeling the motherboard VRM’s may be too weak to properly run a 9900k but am not sure.

Well, I first had a i5 ... processor and we thought that was the problem, I switched to the i9 9900kf with the idea it would be fixed...

Well, I first had a i5 ... processor and we thought that was the problem, I switched to the i9 9900kf with the idea it would be fixed...
Unlikely an 8th or 9th gen i5 was much of a problem with an RTX 2060. I expect the RAM is the original problem. However you now have a high end cpu with high power requirements on an entry level Z390 motherboard. A cpu like the 9900KF should be paired with a high end motherboard and cooling.

Jul 10, 2020
Unlikely an 8th or 9th gen i5 was much of a problem with an RTX 2060. I expect the RAM is the original problem. However you now have a high end cpu with high power requirements on an entry level Z390 motherboard. A cpu like the 9900KF should be paired with a high end motherboard and cooling.

Ok thanks for the info!
What do you think is the best idea now?

Switch the RAM to 2x 8GB or adjust the motherboard?

Is this reasonable with the fact that sometimes I have good fps like the 300-400 but its just 1/10 times..

Apr 20, 2020
If it does not work for pc so this problem can be in. System requirements site to check your system, find games that can run on your computer, rate your PC, and get great ... Game System Requirements. Though a game may be playable on your PC, it might not run at the quality you prefer. The developer's game system requirements can give you an idea.

Visit once here: Windows 10 Home VS Windows 10 Pro for Gaming

Jul 10, 2020
If it does not work for pc so this problem can be in. System requirements site to check your system, find games that can run on your computer, rate your PC, and get great ... Game System Requirements. Though a game may be playable on your PC, it might not run at the quality you prefer. The developer's game system requirements can give you an idea.

Ok i'll test that out, thanks!

Jul 10, 2020

The RAM is the biggest problem in my opinion.

I'll put another RAM in it

Jul 10, 2020
Sell what you have and buy a 2x8gb 3000-3600 kit. Don’t mix RAM bought separately even if the same make and model as you can have issues. RAM is only guaranteed to work without issue in the kit it was sold. You also wanted faster which means replacing what you already have.

Ok I can give it a try, does that makes sense my pc sometimes get the good fps? But most of the time only goes to 170fps instead of 300/400?

Ok I can give it a try, does that makes sense my pc sometimes get the good fps? But most of the time only goes to 170fps instead of 300/400?
You need to rule out the RAM. We know single channel low speed RAM can significantly hurt performance from the reviews available. It’s definitely not helping, is it the only problem? No as we already saw the cpu isn’t boosting but I was hoping someone more familiar with the motherboard would backup my thought that the VRM’s can’t handle such a high power cpu.

Jul 10, 2020
You need to rule out the RAM. We know single channel low speed RAM can significantly hurt performance from the reviews available. It’s definitely not helping, is it the only problem? No as we already saw the cpu isn’t boosting but I was hoping someone more familiar with the motherboard would backup my thought that the VRM’s can’t handle such a high power cpu.

Alright, let's hope someone can help me with that.
Let me thank you already for all the information!

Really appreciate it