[SOLVED] Gaming PC crashing randomly

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
I've had my custom built PC for just over a year now and randomly 2 weeks ago I experienced frequent crashes whilst playing Valorant and then eventually started crashing when idle. (the crash appears to be a complete shut down as if the power went out) After trouble shooting I noticed there could be a possibility that it had something to do with my slave drive so I removed it. The crashes then stopped for several days and the problem appeared to be fixed. However it has now started crashing again. The most recent crash resulted in my computer not being able to boot up right after. After I waited 10 minutes it booted up once again.

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock B450M
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Radeon RX 570
PSU: Corshair MWE Gold 750w
SSD: Intel 660p 512gb
RAM: T-Force Vulcan Z 2x 8gb

My temperatures appear to be normal whilst gaming and when idle. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Thanks. Any further questions feel free to ask.

Solution
Follow up question, do you have any ideas as to why when I removed my slave drive the crashing stopped for several days and then started up again after nothing changing?

I got an idea but its just that, and it does not mean its whats going on here!: Your drive started to crash because your PSU is not working correctly, and now theres another component thats going bad because of the same PSU damaging it.

Its just a theory, theres no way I can tell for sure. I bet many here may have different ideas.
Hi there,

"PSU: Corshair MWE Gold 750w" I think you mean to say Cooler Master right? How old is this PSU?

What BIOS version are you using on your ASRock B450M otherboard?

Have you tried runing with only 1 stick of RAM at the time (testing and if it works try the other one)?

How are you testing your gaming temps for the CPU and GPU? I use hwinfo portable ("sensors only" option) https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
Look at the "CPU (tctl/tdie)" sensor temps, and also at the "GPU Temperature" sensor.
How to: run hwinfo sensors only, look at those two sensor I mention, see that there are a few columns numbers (usually 4) Current, Min, Max and Avg. Now that you have hwinfo open go ahdead and play a game for 5 to 10 mins. After that close the game, go back to hwinfo and check the "MAX" number for each of this sensors I named.
If you want you can post a few pictures using imgur.

Reactions: Greenfish-

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
Hi there,

"PSU: Corshair MWE Gold 750w" I think you mean to say Cooler Master right? How old is this PSU?

What BIOS version are you using on your ASRock B450M otherboard?

Have you tried runing with only 1 stick of RAM at the time (testing and if it works try the other one)?

How are you testing your gaming temps for the CPU and GPU? I use hwinfo portable ("sensors only" option) https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
Look at the "CPU (tctl/tdie)" sensor temps, and also at the "GPU Temperature" sensor.
How to: run hwinfo sensors only, look at those two sensor I mention, see that there are a few columns numbers (usually 4) Current, Min, Max and Avg. Now that you have hwinfo open go ahdead and play a game for 5 to 10 mins. After that close the game, go back to hwinfo and check the "MAX" number for each of this sensors I named.
If you want you can post a few pictures using imgur.
View: https://imgur.com/a/iepnDfw

Hi, I've linked you some of the information I've gathered so far if you would check that out. I had a lot of trouble actually because I could barely even game for 10 minutes without crashing. I'm now investigating the possibility of a RAM stick causing the problem.

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
Alright, check the RAM. Temperature seems to be fine.

BIOS version is kinda old 2.60, if I check it right (https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#BIOS1). If you wana do some BIOS udpate please read very carefully at the instructions and notes on the motherboard page.

Also Im getting that the PSU was brand new when you got the system build a year ago?

Yeah the PSU is only a year old.

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
Alright, check the RAM. Temperature seems to be fine.

BIOS version is kinda old 2.60, if I check it right (https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#BIOS1). If you wana do some BIOS udpate please read very carefully at the instructions and notes on the motherboard page.

Also Im getting that the PSU was brand new when you got the system build a year ago?

Follow up question, do you have any ideas as to why when I removed my slave drive the crashing stopped for several days and then started up again after nothing changing?

I got an idea but its just that, and it does not mean its whats going on here!: Your drive started to crash because your PSU is not working correctly, and now theres another component thats going bad because of the same PSU damaging it.

Its just a theory, theres no way I can tell for sure. I bet many here may have different ideas.

Solution

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019

A couple new developments today, I managed to get through a whole day of gaming without crashing, however after about 5 hrs I went idle for 1 hr and I come back to launch another game and it crashes on launch, I then proceed to relaunch the computer and it crashes again, and then again once more. I've also noticed this being a common pattern, it seems to go fine most of the day but I suppose after being on the whole day it begins to burn out and start crashing maybe? I'm definitely starting to think its a PSU problem, anything you can offer knowing this information. Thanks for all the help so far.

A couple new developments today, I managed to get through a whole day of gaming without crashing, however after about 5 hrs I went idle for 1 hr and I come back to launch another game and it crashes on launch, I then proceed to relaunch the computer and it crashes again, and then again once more. I've also noticed this being a common pattern, it seems to go fine most of the day but I suppose after being on the whole day it begins to burn out and start crashing maybe? I'm definitely starting to think its a PSU problem, anything you can offer knowing this information. Thanks for all the help so far.

Sorry but I can not tell you much more, not been able to touch and see the PC first hand make it harder to diagnose an issue.

Once again this is just another theory, nothing more, Any chance the power outlet from the wall where the PC is plug may have some sort of malfunction?, or Perhaps you are using a not soo good power strip?

Or some cable inside the PC not secure enough?

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
Sorry but I can not tell you much more, not been able to touch and see the PC first hand make it harder to diagnose an issue.

Once again this is just another theory, nothing more, Any chance the power outlet from the wall where the PC is plug may have some sort of malfunction?, or Perhaps you are using a not soo good power strip?

Or some cable inside the PC not secure enough?

Yeah fair enough, I don't imagine thats an issue but I'll check

datguydream

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
The same thing is happening to me, while at my side it's only happening while the computer is idle or light googles chrome action, never while gaming ( hasn't happened yet ). Same error same everything, computer freeze, buzzing noise coming from speakers and PC turn off and I have to restart it. I am suspecting power supply ( it's 9-10 years old ), I placed new thermal paste and cleaned the whole PC of dust. If u somehow fix the problem please share how u fixed it.

Greenfish-

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
The same thing is happening to me, while at my side it's only happening while the computer is idle or light googles chrome action, never while gaming ( hasn't happened yet ). Same error same everything, computer freeze, buzzing noise coming from speakers and PC turn off and I have to restart it. I am suspecting power supply ( it's 9-10 years old ), I placed new thermal paste and cleaned the whole PC of dust. If u somehow fix the problem please share how u fixed it.

I bought a new power supply and it fixed it.