[SOLVED] gaming Pc desktop building

May 7, 2020
Hi guys i just come up with a list of my choice on gaming deskop builiding compoment. Im not an expert so fell free to drop any advise or if I'm missing anything. Also i have some questions, if you guys can help me out that will be great!!

Cases: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D Full-Tower Case

Storage: Crucial BX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD (Do I need an HDD? if I do what is the best choice for this build?)

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1000 G5, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, ECO Mode with Fdb Fan (Is it necessary to have a 1000 w power supply? did i pick the right power supply for this build? )

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit

Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Black Gaming, 08G-P4-3081-KR, 8GB GDDR6

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega X299-II Gaming Motherboard LGA2066 (Intel 9th Gen X-Series) EATX DDR4 M.2 U.2 10G LAN USB 3.1 Gen2(this mother board is kind of expensive, if there is any other ones that you guys really like and works really well, please let me know. Plus who doesn't want to save some money )

Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W9 (Should i get a Ryzen cpu instead of Intel?)

Last edited:
Solution
1)Chassis
That's a big one. You sure you need all that space? With your current list, a mid tower would be roomy enough?
Or perhaps you just like that one. If that's the case(no pun), disregard what I said.

2)Storage
Well, HDD have far more affordable space for one's gaming library...
Get a 250-500GB SSD for an OS only drive, and get a 1TB or larger, 7200rpm spinning drive for your expanding game library.
Or you could do both SSDs, but that costs a fair bit more.

3)Power supply
No, it's not needed to have 1000w for your considered build. In that case, no, you did not pick the right one.
A 650-750w unit would suffice here.

4)Cpu & motherboard
These 2 are not compatible. For the i9-9900K, there's the Z390 motherboards. X299 supports...
If you are going to be buying such high end hardware, you might want to consider 3200MHz or higher RAM speed. With Intel, it wont make as much of a difference, but it is still a good idea.

Speaking of, depending on what you intend to do with this PC, You might be better off getting a Ryzen 9 3900X And an X570 motherboard. It is a great CPU for a great price, and if you intend to do workstation jobs, like editing, or do any game streaming, it will suit you very well. For gaming only, it is up to you mostly, there is not a specific winner between Intel and AMD there for their top tier models, if I remember correctly.

Also, what do you plan to use for a cooler? I noticed you dont have one listed. A CPU like that will need a pretty beefy cooler, especially if you plan to overclock at all. A large AIO, like a 280mm or 360mm Radiator is probably a good idea. You could also get a really nice Air cooler, which could do the job as well.

Reactions: Terr power

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Chassis
That's a big one. You sure you need all that space? With your current list, a mid tower would be roomy enough?
Or perhaps you just like that one. If that's the case(no pun), disregard what I said.

2)Storage
Well, HDD have far more affordable space for one's gaming library...
Get a 250-500GB SSD for an OS only drive, and get a 1TB or larger, 7200rpm spinning drive for your expanding game library.
Or you could do both SSDs, but that costs a fair bit more.

3)Power supply
No, it's not needed to have 1000w for your considered build. In that case, no, you did not pick the right one.
A 650-750w unit would suffice here.

4)Cpu & motherboard
These 2 are not compatible. For the i9-9900K, there's the Z390 motherboards. X299 supports Intel's X series cpus; there's an i9-9900X. The latter isn't well suited for gaming - better for workstations.

5)Should you get a Ryzen? Well, it depends on what you care about more:
-Top gaming performance regardless of the cost: Intel/Blue Team
-Gaming performance rivaling that of Intel's cpus, but much easier on the bank: AMD/Red Team

6)Wait
Intel's 10th gen launches at the end of this month. Wait for reviews, compare to Ryzen 3000, then make your decision from there.
If you can't wait though... no one can force you to.

Reactions: Terr power
Solution
All good points made above, I didnt look at your build that hard, or I would have probably mentioned some of those myself. And, I personally use all SSD storage, with two 1 TB SSDs, one NVMe. It is really nice to have, but is not particularly needed. Depending on how many games you have, would determine what size SSD I would get. Having enough room for most/all of your AAA or high demand games, like GTA, Assassins Creed, etc, or any games that you really want to run well, like a competitive esports title, would ideally be put on an SSD. An HDD is good for bulk storage, like if you keep lots of pictures, which dont need fast storage.