Gaming pc fan is making loud noise when nothing is running

Frosolf

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Hello,

So I'm using a msi nightblade z97 gtx970, cpu i5 3.6ghz . And I have an issue with my fan, suddenly it's making a really loud noise that wasn't there yesterday.

So I restarted my pc as usual and when I'm on my login screen it feels like my fan is running at 100%. Even when nothing is running, this problem wasn't there yesterday.

So I downloaded the new drivers but nothing happens, did a virus scan (only some cookies were detected), and I installed some programs that can detect the heat. The only ordinary thing I can see is that the one program says 3 fans aren't running and that my cpu is overheating but the other program says my cpu is normal but my gpu fan isn't working. Here are the different pics. http://imgur.com/a/RdHsg

I hope someone can fix this problem, thanks in advance.

EDIT: the pc is from aug and I haven't removed any dust yet, but pc is operating in a room that gets cleaned weekly.

smangione

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Your gpu fans are working as intended the fans aren't suppose to turn on till it hits 60c. Does the fans get quieter after you boot into windows? speed fan isn't working for your cpu because 127c is way to high.

Frosolf

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

So when I boot my pc It starts loud but then it quiets down like any other pc and after that when I reach my login screen it becomes loud again. And about the cpu heat well the first picture says my cpu fan is working and that the heat is normal (around 35c) but the other program says it 127c. But I personally think the first program is more reliable (CPUID HWMonitor) because I have never heard of the program speedfan. I read some other forum posts quickly and I saw something about BIOS but idk if this got anything to do with my issue.

smangione

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Well the only reason it's load when it starts is because the bios is checking each things 1 by 1. I'm not sure why it's so load it could be another fan that isn't on the gpu/cpu that you might want to replace.