Question Gaming PC has had a heart attack

Dec 22, 2022
Hi, long time reader of forum but registered today to post this very question as it has never happened to me in my entire life of building gaming PCs.

I built this gaming PC in 2020, have upgraded it over the years (new GPU and more RAM). It was running perfectly fine, and one day right infront of me it turned off. I assumed it was a Windows update or something so I left it and until while later tried turning it on and there was 0 indication of power. I tried the following things:

• Tested PSU with PSU tester
  • Tried brand new PSU and cables
  • Tried different power source around flat, different sockets
  • Tested one by one removing peripherals, RAM and GPU
  • Removed CPU and cooler, reapplied thermal paste
  • Thoroughly cleaned computer case and components (it was dusty)
  • Inspected motherboard and pins (No bent capacitors or pins)
  • Inspected CPU pins and socket (All fine)

I have not tried replacing the motherboard because I don't have a motherboard laying around and they are quite pricey. I was thinking of buying a new motherboard, CPU and a case and reuse other components. But before I do that, wanted to know what the hell actually caused this problem and can it be fixed?? It never gave any signs or indications that PC was failing or any of its components. Really weird...

Possible cause: Could it be humidity? It happened when I moved to new flat near the beach, suffers from humidity levels more than 70%, had mold on walls and ceiling. Humidity issue has been solved now but could high humidity have caused it? It was only a month after moving in that my PC died.

Do you get any sign of life? A LED on motherboard?A flicker of life from a fan?

What about jumping the power switch pins on motherboard?

If you tried the above and a brand new PSU with all the cables that came with it(not using old cables), and still have nothing it has to be the motherboard.

Dec 22, 2022
Do you get any sign of life? A LED on motherboard?A flicker of life from a fan?

What about jumping the power switch pins on motherboard?

If you tried the above and a brand new PSU with all the cables that came with it(not using old cables), and still have nothing it has to be the motherboard.
I get no sign of life, no fans, no lights, completely dead.

I have not tried jumping power switch pins, how would I do that?

Dec 28, 2022
Possible cause: Could it be humidity? It happened when I moved to new flat near the beach, suffers from humidity levels more than 70%, had mold on walls and ceiling. Humidity issue has been solved now but could high humidity have caused it? It was only a month after moving in that my PC died.

I have been living about 4 months by the beach. It's only 2 blocks away but a dehumidifier isn't a bad idea. AC unit already sucks up moisture.