Build Advice Gaming pc help

Nov 22, 2018
Hello,

This weekend my computer decided to explode (it has serious issues booting)
While i could spend time and energy fixing this, i decided it is time to buy a new gaming PC anyway.
The problem is that i am completely out of the market, and i could really use some help with this.

Few "problems" i have .. Things like brand "loyalty". I have been using intel processors for a long time, for no real reason, but i never had an issue with them, so i am tempted to buy one again.
But i am in no way informed, so it could very well be that intel is behind the curve on the CPU market.

I have seen some intel I9s on the market now, and i am unaware if its worth going for that for gaming, or if the fastest I7 is a better better
Same goes for video cards really. I see so much variaty now, its hard to wrap my head around it. All i know is that i want atleast 8GB

My main goal here is to build a "future proof" PC that can play at the highest graphics for atleast a year or 3.

I will try and put together some builds with parts i can actually get somewhat locally in my country ,so its easier to discuss my desires.

All i know for now is that i want a fast future proof cpu, a powerhouse GPU, (maybe onboard) SSD 500gb and maybe 16GB of ram.

Can people give me some general advise on brands (if it matters) , and the intel i7 vs i9 thing, unless intel isnt the right pick.
Some builds will follow (though i am not quite sure how to check for compatability with stuff like cpu/gpu and motherboards.

Thank you.

Ps. i realise this type of topic is very comon on this board, i will try and find some time to browse other similar posts for ideas.

xSaturnityx

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
CPU:
Intel hits hard on gaming, AMD is mainly for editing I guess.

Future proof at this point would probably be a 8700k and above, and maybe pair it with a 2060. Or if you want to put a lot of money into it, a 2080 will do you better.

Anything above a 8700k will really be future proof. Hell, even the 7700k will be okay for the future.

SSD:
A good SSD that has done me well is the Samsung 850 and 860s. The 860 500gb will only set you back 80 dollars.

RAM:
Ram is tricky. You can go high tech RGB, which will cost a little more, or just normal looking ram.

A good thing of nice looking RGB (IMO) are these: https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Trid...4+trident&qid=1552904974&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Or non RGB, https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...16gb+ddr4&qid=1552904955&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Vengeance are a nice brand.

MOBO:
So, for motherboard it is kinda iffy. You need to check the generation and socket. These days everything new is LGA1151, but boards differ generation to generation.

If you want future-future proof, you can get a z390, z390s are mainly good for 9th gens, (i5-9xxx) but will also work with 8th gens in most cases.
Most motherboard when you buy will say in the description what generation they support, the generation number is the first number after the i3-, i5-, i7-, i9-. z370 boards are good for 8th gen, but do support 9th gen, but it's kinda better to just get a z390 if you aren't getting an 8th gen.

9th gen is mainly if you have the money to waste, 8th gens are super powerful right now and will last quite some time.

Hope this all made sense, if not let me know and i'll simplify whatever you need <3

Nov 22, 2018
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I am currently looking into all the parts you mentioned. It is a real shame that a lot of parts are hard to come by in my country, so i might have to settle for a few things.

Processor.. Above the 8700K is only the 9700K, and the i9-9900K at multiple local stores here. for some reason the 9700K seems to have a lower clockrate than the 8700k aswel, not sure what is up with that. They do get in the pricey range as well, but i guess thaat is what you get when you want to future proof

The GPU... Yikes, the 2080 really puts a dent in my pocket :D Is there a reason you didnt mention the 2070? the 300 euro gap between the 2060 and the 2080 is looking a little scary, but once i got the whole thing together, i can see if i can manage paying extra. I do have a rather sizable budget, i feel.

SSD are easy enough i suppose. i think i might look into those SSD things you plug into the motherboard (M.2 NVMe?) But thats a luxery item, we will see. not sure its any actual use :p

My current PC is using older Vengeance RAM, so just stepping it up with the newer gen does feel save. so thats pretty settled aswel.

Motherboards are going to be tricky. There seem to be very few different types for sale around here -.- i hate this country so much

Anyway, thanks and i will keep on working to making an initial build, and hope someone can rate it for me

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018
Ok i made a draft of some (perhaps overkill) parts i am looking into

• ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING
    • I wanted the Z390-E, but the store im looking at only has the F, i would hope thats okay ?

• Intel Core i7 9700K - 3,6Ghz
    • Multiple people have told me this is the one to get to "future proof"

• Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB(2666Mhz)
    • I looked into getting faster RAM, but the big store here only goes as high as 2666, but i hope that is enough

• NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB
    • This thing... wow. not cheap. How overkill would this be i wonder

• Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 SSD
    • As my storage.. super fast SSD just seems real nice to have. I do still have my 200GBish "normal" SSD that i`ll be using aswel
    • I did read that motherboard i picked does not have a heatsink for this? or a fan.. i forgot where i read it. But is this important ?

• Corsair VS650 voeding (650Watt)
    • my powerrrr. not sure how much i need. thisone was on sale and looked powerful enough

• I am not quite sure how important coolers are for the CPU. I have looked into a coolermaster closed loop watercooling, those arent too expensive
  • Also still looking into the case. I am not sure if a Coolermaster case (which usually is packed with fans) has any serious benefit over other ones.. This store has cheap Sharkoon cases but they seem to be with less fans

I would really love it if people could comment on the parts i picked. Spot some overkill (but do keep in mind i wanna be playing on high settings for 3-4 years), potential upgrades i guess (though with this setup im done with my budget, i would have to cut elsewhere)
Any comment is appreciated. Thank you