[SOLVED] Gaming PC hitching and USB disconnecting every 15 minutes or so

Sep 26, 2021
Issue description:

So I have been experiencing this issue ever since building my PC where the computer will hitch while playing a game. By this, I mean that it stutters and drops frames, and at the same time all of my USBs disconnect and then reconnect after a couple of seconds.

I do have devices plugged into all five of my rear outlets, so it could be a power draw issue. Currently what is connected: Logitech mouse, Logitech Keyboard, Corsair headset stand (with my wireless Logitech headset plugged into the USB on the stand), Logitech speakers, and a wireless charging Logitech mouse pad.

Troubleshooting so far:

I have run OCCT tests with no issues both general and power-specific. I have also updated to the latest BiOS, updated my graphics driver, and uninstalled the USB controllers, all to no avail. If anyone has any thoughts I am all ears, thanks!

Here are my specs:

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X
MOBO- B550 MSI Gaming Carbon Wifi
GPU- MSI Ventus 3070
RAM- Corsair DDR4 32GB C18 3600MHz (4x8 running at 3200 MHz because 3600 MHz wouldn't boot)
SSD- 2x WD SN750

Solution
Issue description:

So I have been experiencing this issue ever since building my PC where the computer will hitch while playing a game. By this, I mean that it stutters and drops frames, and at the same time all of my USBs disconnect and then reconnect after a couple of seconds.

I do have devices plugged into all five of my rear outlets, so it could be a power draw issue. Currently what is connected: Logitech mouse, Logitech Keyboard, Corsair headset stand (with my wireless Logitech headset plugged into the USB on the stand), Logitech speakers, and a wireless charging Logitech mouse pad.

Troubleshooting so far:

I have run OCCT tests with no issues both general and power-specific. I have also updated to the latest...
Issue description:

Troubleshooting so far:

I have run OCCT tests with no issues both general and power-specific. I have also updated to the latest BiOS, updated my graphics driver, and uninstalled the USB controllers, all to no avail. If anyone has any thoughts I am all ears, thanks!

Here are my specs:

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU- MSI Ventus 3070
RAM- Corsair DDR4 32GB C18 3600MHz (4x8 running at 3200 MHz because 3600 MHz wouldn't boot)
SSD- 2x WD SN750
if you dont want to clean install , try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios again. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Sep 26, 2021
Okay I have done all of that and will let you know if the issue continues. I have the GPU connected with two cables, each leading to the PSU. They are both 6+2 cables I think, is that right?

I also chose to switch off of the beta BIOS because I figured it might be less stable.

Reactions: Koekieezz

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
Issue description:

Troubleshooting so far:

Here are my specs:

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU- MSI Ventus 3070
SSD- 2x WD SN750

I'm not 100% sure but B550 chipset based motherboards has/had USB drop issue.
Read article in the link below, CAREFULLY :
https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-locates-root-cause-of-usb-issues-on-b550-x570-motherboards

Warning:
Anyone reading this reply,
Article above suggests to use/update to a Latest BIOS version. Do it on your own risk, if you want to.
Be careful,
BIOS updating can/might brick your system.

I will recommend to Get help straight from Service Center/Customer Care.

Just try with keyboard & mouse, if it works.

As you said, you ran tests what were GPU CPU temperatures ; did you find any unusual component with high temps. ?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021
yup, all correct, 1 pcie slot (6 pin or 8pin) get 1 cable, just dont daisy chain them, use separate output for the power.

Yeah I have them set up correctly then, and the power stress test showed no issues. Still having the USBs drop

I'm not 100% sure but B550 chipset based motherboards has/had USB drop issue.
Read More in the link below :
https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-locates-root-cause-of-usb-issues-on-b550-x570-motherboards

Just try with keyboard & mouse, if it works.

As you said, you ran tests what were GPU CPU temperatures ; did you find any unusual component with high temps. ?

Nothing has too high of temperatures, and it's not something that only happens under high gaming loads. It just randomly happens...

I had been using the beta BiOS like that article suggests, but I just switched back figuring maybe that the stability of it was causing the issue. I don't know what else to do, I guess I will try routing the USBs that only require power to an external hub (although I think most of them need connection directly to the PC.

I will start an ticket with AMD and MSI I guess in the meantime. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Reactions: ssbaraskar99

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
I guess I will try routing the USBs that only require power to an external hub (although I think most of them need connection directly to the PC) Try it

Beta BIOS are not trustworthy, infact a little scary. Always Be careful while flashing any BIOS.

Taking help from Service Center/Customer Care is the right decision.

Last edited: