Question Gaming PC lagging and RAM seems to be the problem

Aug 18, 2019
Hello,

this is my first post on this forum. I have a problem that is similar to the one in this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gaming-pc-suddenly-lagging-on-every-game.3298716/. Suddenly my PC started lagging. I have made the same analysis and here is the result: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19387562.

My setup is also similar:
Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
Intel i5 8400
8GB RAM

I am not very skilled with computing skills, but I have tried everything already suggested:
I updated my drivers,
I checked power settings (Civ 6 slightly improved, the rest are the same),
I checked where the cable is attached and it is ok.

I don't know what else to do. Analysis suggests that RAM might be the issue and I have the feeling that everything started after a driver update, but I am not sure and I do not know which driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 18, 2019
I haven't thought of it. So far I only had Windows Defender and am trying to download another maleware removal program, but it will not let me install any of them (tried three already), so I might as well be affected.

Whichever antivirus or maleware removal program I try to run, I get the message "Administrator has blocked you from running this app. Please contact administrator." My username is registered as administrator and I use the option Run as administrator. Still the same.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019
Start the game and then Alt-Tab out and check the task manager. If the Ram usage is in the 90's then your PC is starting to use the Virtual Hard Drive ram. This will make any PC chug. You can normally tell when this is happening if you look at your hard drive light. If it stays on constantly then you are more than likely running on Hard Drive Virtual Ram.

rgd1101

Don't
I haven't thought of it. So far I only had Windows Defender and am trying to download another maleware removal program, but it will not let me install any of them (tried three already), so I might as well be affected.

Whichever antivirus or maleware removal program I try to run, I get the message "Administrator has blocked you from running this app. Please contact administrator." My username is registered as administrator and I use the option Run as administrator. Still the same.
try install them in safe mode.

Aug 18, 2019
Hello all,

tried in safe mode, still nothing. And it is maleware, since 85-90% of CPU was used by windows defender. Finally I snapped, formatted the disk and made a new clean installation. First thing I installed was an extra antivirus program. Those pesky viruses will not mess with me ...:mad:!!!

Thank you all for supporting an analphabet with useful advice.