Current Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Zalman Z12 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Hello community,

My current build I have listed above. I have around $300-500 to spend on an upgrade, and I have started having some video driver crashes and other occasional oddities with my video card that lead me to believe I need an upgrade. It's also quite old at this point. I wanted to see what I could get at a reasonable price that would be the best bang for my buck upgrade or if I would be better off making an entirely different upgrade based on what I have posted above. As always thanks for the assistance from the Tom's Hardware community!

Thanks!

Solution
Get another 2 x4gb kit of the same memory and see if your computer run stable on the two kits totally 16gb.
Then upgrade the graphics card.
What is your monitors resolution and refresh rate?
I agree with the 16GB RAM as well.

In the GPU category you are looking at a GTX 1660Ti at the low end (starts at $270) up to a RTX 2070 on the high end (starts at $480).
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-turing,6002.html - benchmarks of the 1660Ti includes RTX 2070 in the benchmarks.
Run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
I suspect you would do very nicely with a GTX1660ti.

If you think you are more cpu limited, you are looking at the upper range of your budget for latest gen intel or ryzen along with a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

You are fine in the CPU department for another couple years, had it been an i5 I would have recommended upgrading that due to fewer threads. Your best bet would be to upgrade your GPU to something in the upper part of your range and then keep that GPU for when you have to do a full upgrade in like 2 years.

Get another 2 x4gb kit of the same memory and see if your computer run stable on the two kits totally 16gb.
Then upgrade the graphics card.
What is your monitors resolution and refresh rate?
I agree with the 16GB RAM as well.

In the GPU category you are looking at a GTX 1660Ti at the low end (starts at $270) up to a RTX 2070 on the high end (starts at $480).
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-turing,6002.html - benchmarks of the 1660Ti includes RTX 2070 in the benchmarks.

Solution
While 16gb sounds nice, there is a potential problem.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT guarantee ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

While 16gb sounds nice, there is a potential problem.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT guarantee ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.
I agree and this was my first initial thought. However if it were me, i'd like to reuse the initial kit just to see if it works. Worst case scenario i'd make use of the return policy. If it works out, this user can use the money saved towards a better graphics card. Either that or purchase a new 2 x 8gb kit (as you sugested, which is a good suggestion) and sell the old one. Go with either option that will save you the most money and just be congnicent on the fact that is you have any strange problems with system instability that the issue is most likely ram related.